PI headswap prices(NEW)

Winters98GT

Whoop...whoop-whoop-whoop-whoop...GANGNAM STYLE!!!
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
H Town
I was curious as to what everybody thinks Ford will do with the PI head prices(new). There is a new player around now that Trickflow is out.

I remember when PI heads first started to be sold through FRPP, which used to be SVO, I believe. Well, headswaps were fairly cheap to do with new parts. Ford caught wind of this, and overnight, the prices jumped pretty drastically.

Anybody think they will lower them again?

• Sponsors (?)

I was curious as to what everybody thinks Ford will do with the PI head prices(new). There is a new player around now that Trickflow is out.

I remember when PI heads first started to be sold through FRPP, which used to be SVO, I believe. Well, headswaps were fairly cheap to do with new parts. Ford caught wind of this, and overnight, the prices jumped pretty drastically.

Anybody think they will lower them again?
The prices will probably lower because demand will lower.

Ford raises the prices because the materials and costs to produce smaller runs (smaller than a full production run) cost more so I seriously doubt you will see any kind of drop in price. They don't base their pricing of OEM parts to that of the aftermarket otherwise head and exhaust gaskets wouldn't cost so much.

Bill

Ford raises the prices because the materials and costs to produce smaller runs (smaller than a full production run) cost more so I seriously doubt you will see any kind of drop in price. They don't base their pricing of OEM parts to that of the aftermarket otherwise head and exhaust gaskets wouldn't cost so much.

Bill

That's what I thought too, but do you remember when the PI head prices suddenly skyrocketed overnight from Ford? I believe it was in 2000 or 2001. There was speculation that it was from the increased demand in PI heads. Do you think there was any correlation of the price to the demand increase?

Or am I just dreaming this all up:eek:

That's what I thought too, but do you remember when the PI head prices suddenly skyrocketed overnight from Ford? I believe it was in 2000 or 2001. There was speculation that it was from the increased demand in PI heads. Do you think there was any correlation of the price to the demand increase?

Keep in mind in 2001 all of the 4.6 based cars switched to the PI heads so Ford needed them as well as the increase demand from individuals buying them from dealers. Just like the bullitt intakes when they increased. Say the production run was 5k (not actual just throwing a number out there) and they probably had 5500 made to cover any warranty issues, etc... Then everyone jumps in and buys up the extras that Ford had for warranty. Once that is done they have manufacturer another production run and chances are it will be smaller like 1500 and the cost per piece goes up and thus our cost does as well. Plus if you have worked or been close with any companies working with metal you would see that just about every metal has been jumping in price since 9/11. Same reason aluminum driveshafts now cost $225-250 instead of the $149 they used to be.

Not saying Ford doesn't jack the price if they see a particular item flying off the shelves but I'm telling you now they aren't going to adjust prices on parts because demand drops they are more concerned about selling cars than competeting with the aftermarket.

Bill

I think Ford determines prices based on their own cost and personal demand. When they produce an automobile, they make a certain number of extra parts to be sold. When these parts are in short supply, they raise the prices. They most likely didn't anticipate that owners of npi stangs would be buying PI heads, thus there was a shortage, so they increased the price so they would have PI heads to repair legitimate claims and cars people bring into the ford dealer for service. Of course, there is a certain point at which they don't want to keep the parts anymore, so they don't raise the price as the part runs out.

In short, I don't think they give a rats ass what the aftermarket does. But they will try to preserve enough parts to repair the current model cars, even if that means raising the price several fold.

Mark, you are not crazy, I remember when the PI head swap parts jumped literally overnight. That said, the FRPP SVO 2V head used to retail for $850.00 each for a bare head. These heads were said to be extinct, however Ford Racing is now selling them for as low as $480.00 each for a bare head. Perhaps the PI heads will follow suit. That said, I have no interest in PI heads, if I was to do a headswap on my 2V, it would be to the TrickFlow Twisted Wedge 2V Head.