PI Headswappers HELP

Blev

Aug 17, 2003
So. Cal. V-Town
Hey guys,

We are doing my swap right now and have run into a minor snag. The write-ups we are looking at show the power steering pump pulled but the manual says to just pull the pulley. What did you do and what is easiest?

I'm going to use this thread for any other issues as we go.

Thanks to all of you who offered to help me out via Stangnet post.

• Sponsors (?)

if you can get to it i would suggest just pulling the pump off the block. i dont believe that any special tools are required. worst case scenario you have to undo the power steering lines and when you finish refill and burp the power steering.

Take the pump off of the block there is one bolt thats a problem.

Either use a ratcheting wrench to get to the bolt closest to the pulley or just remove the line from the bottom of the pump. If you remove the line you will have to get the teflon washer from ford when you put the line back in. I think its less than a buck.

Got the pump off, and used a gear wrench, so it was a breeze. Since we were taking our time, we got as far as getting everyting stripped down including the heads. We have put in about 6 hours of work. We should have a majority of it finished tomorrow. Those damn pistons are FILTHY.

tomustang said:
get some pics. i documented most of my swap. and for those dirty pistons you can use a wire brush on a drill and clean'um up
only took like 3 pix. I got so pumped about ripping my car apart, I didn't think about it. Already picked up the wire brush, wheel deal for the drill. Charging my batteries as we speak. Stay tuned tomorrow, may have more ?'s :shrug:

Here are some pix. I'll post more when I get the ones my buddy took. I'll also take more tomorrow. If there are any special pix that someone wants of any certain part, let me know and I'll do my best to get them for you.

The pictures are in no particular order, sorry, I'm tired.
406598_92_full.jpg

406598_90_full.jpg

406598_91_full.jpg

406598_95_full.jpg

Did this to remember where the timing cover bolts go
406598_97_full.jpg

Had to swap over the rockers and valve lash guides, they just rest below the cam.
406598_96_full.jpg

406598_94_full.jpg

looks good. the idea of using the cardboard cutout of hte timing cover is exactly what i have done in the past. looks like you did a really good job in cleaning those pistons. wish i couldve made it down there to help. im gonna be taking my heads to a machine shop to see if they can be saved.

tomustang said:
vbgarage.php

don't forget to mark the timing or you'll have to guess like i did.
I'm putting new timing chains on, so the timing should be a snap. I just set the heads with the headers on them in. Today was a really slow day. I spent a majority of it cleaning the pistons and swapping over and cleaning the rockers and valve lashes. Since this is my first time doing this, I'm taking my time so I don't screw anything up. I should wrap most of it up tomorrow and be out driving by Tuesday. I only put about 2 hours of work in, most was preping the heads. Stay tuned!!