Pic a cam for my 408 build!

• Sponsors (?)

I know which car is yours.........:D

I really like the blacked out hood treatment. With the rim and tire choice the car had a whole new look.:nice:

I didn't catch the last article. What have you done with the car other than an upcoming motor write-up?

I know which car is yours.........:D

I really like the blacked out hood treatment. With the rim and tire choice the car had a whole new look.:nice:

I didn't catch the last article. What have you done with the car other than an upcoming motor write-up?

Rebuilt the suspension (stock stuff), basic front disc brakes, rear 9" with disc brakes, Built a C4 at Hughes trans, relocated the battery to the trunk and switched to a dry cell (that's in the new issue). Sorta worked my way forward to the engine.

Should be a fun cruiser and street/strip car when done. I think it's going to end up being $28k with the engine and all the other stuff (exhaust, cooling) installed. Better than buying a Honda. :)

You can check out any missed stories on the Fairlane at www.popularhotrodding.com

Thanks!

Thanks I'll have to check them out. I must have missed more than one issue.:shrug:

You've got a nice ride there. It was refreshing to see a build on something a little different. I'm own a 66 stang and even I get bored reading about the more "popular cars".

They going to let you keep the "work car" or is it your car and they supply parts?

Thanks I'll have to check them out. I must have missed more than one issue.:shrug:

You've got a nice ride there. It was refreshing to see a build on something a little different. I'm own a 66 stang and even I get bored reading about the more "popular cars".

They going to let you keep the "work car" or is it your car and they supply parts?

We own our own project cars.. I supply the labor and they supply the parts. It helps offset the crappy pay. lol

I try to build stuff in the book the way I would in real life if I didn't get stuff discounted or free. If it's a crummy part I won't use it just because it's free. That sort of deal.

We own our own project cars.. I supply the labor and they supply the parts. It helps offset the crappy pay. lol

I try to build stuff in the book the way I would in real life if I didn't get stuff discounted or free. If it's a crummy part I won't use it just because it's free. That sort of deal.

Actually, I'd have alot more projects if I could do it on company time and with the company dime.:nice: Sounds like a great job perk to me. Hell, I'd probably work for food if I could flex my creative juices on the projects I wanted to do. Let me sleep somewhere in the shop and throw me a cold beer once in a while.:D

I definately get the crummy part thing. If someone gave me a bad part and told me it was free I wouldn't use it in my car either.:nono:

I know I'm badgering you with questions but you're only the second mag. guy that I've met online. How flexible is the mag about letting you pick the projects you want to build and the type of car to build on?

Actually, I'd have alot more projects if I could do it on company time and with the company dime.:nice: Sounds like a great job perk to me. Hell, I'd probably work for food if I could flex my creative juices on the projects I wanted to do. Let me sleep somewhere in the shop and throw me a cold beer once in a while.:D

I definately get the crummy part thing. If someone gave me a bad part and told me it was free I wouldn't use it in my car either.:nono:

I know I'm badgering you with questions but you're only the second mag. guy that I've met online. How flexible is the mag about letting you pick the projects you want to build and the type of car to build on?

Pretty flexable. When Johnny picked his Chevelle I just needed to pick something non-GM.. I decided Ford and then the Fairlane so it wouldn't just be another Mustang build. He wanted me to do a drag deal first and then I can do whatever I want (make it handle better, whatever).

They are very flexable so long as it's something readers can relate to and get ideas from. That's why I went old school on the look, something different then the high tech deal my Camaro is.

No prob on the questions, I'm just a car guy like you are.. :)

check out the lunati voodoo 61012, 231 239 571 587 110lsa, I was looking at this befor I ordered a custom cam for my 408, funny my custom cams int duration was the same but more exhast, more int lift and less ex lift and 113.8 lsa.....if yo can aford it go a custom cam as a 408 is a custom engine

my 67 vert http://htwheelz.smugmug.com

by the way use the comp link bar lifters for a conversion, they are the absolute best on the market

The AFR's are 205cc .....you will have to upgrade the valve springs too. We started out with Edelbrock heads but when we pulled them apart we found the specs were way off and the valve seats didn't sit well at all. We pulled the AFR's apart and they were right on!
Used Scorpion roller tip roller rocker arms.....good price and have proven themselves in this shop....Crane roller lifters.....Comp (hardened) push rods.
The cam we chose was a Crane Powermax #449601.....I was looking for instant throttle respnse and good follow thru to 6000 or so.
Carb. we ended up with after trial and error was the Holler 670 Street Avenger.
Thats great that you don't have a height problem to deal with.....that sure caused us some grief.

The AFR's are 205cc .....you will have to upgrade the valve springs too. We started out with Edelbrock heads but when we pulled them apart we found the specs were way off and the valve seats didn't sit well at all. We pulled the AFR's apart and they were right on!
Used Scorpion roller tip roller rocker arms.....good price and have proven themselves in this shop....Crane roller lifters.....Comp (hardened) push rods.
The cam we chose was a Crane Powermax #449601.....I was looking for instant throttle respnse and good follow thru to 6000 or so.
Carb. we ended up with after trial and error was the Holler 670 Street Avenger.
Thats great that you don't have a height problem to deal with.....that sure caused us some grief.

I do believe the AFRs have the upgraded springs and they have the nitrous porting done. AFR flow tested them and the numbers were very good.. so good that I'm going to flow them at Westech to double check. lol

In the dynosim program the engine made well over 550 hp and 550 tq.. which is right where I was shooting for.