Pics of Med. Cabernet Red???

srothfuss said:
The orange stripe is just a colored piece of 3M tape. They apply it just like a big pin stripe right in the channel of the moldings. I couldn't believe it.

Thanks, I wondered about that as mine had it too originally. I put 1" black side molding in there that sticks out just a little further than the molding to help keep from getting the molding paint knocked off by door edges.

• Sponsors (?)

Some pics of my 89 Ragtop with the original Red Cabernet paint:

02169028.jpg

02169028e.jpg

Sorry they were all taken in the shade- We havn't had a sunny day around here since I bought. The color is definitely much brighter strawberry red in sunlight though..

Attachments

• 02169028.jpg
    02169028.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 02169028e.jpg
    02169028e.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 59
AHSOM50 said:
Some pics of my 89 Ragtop with the original Red Cabernet paint:

02169028.jpg

02169028e.jpg

Sorry they were all taken in the shade- We havn't had a sunny day around here since I bought. The color is definitely much brighter strawberry red in sunlight though..

That is real nice looking 89 convert.:nice:

Attachments

• 02169028.jpg
    02169028.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 02169028e.jpg
    02169028e.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 86
I suppose a GT with stock tails in that red does look decent, but otherwise I'm not much of a fan of the color. My coupe was factory colored with this Medium Crap-ernet Red and then sloppily repainted sometime long ago (runs and crappy masking evidence inside the doors, some even sprayed on the vinyl door panels), and I'm steering clear of the color when I go for a total repaint this spring. Besides, most red colors + desert sun = pink or red paint after about a year (unless you polish the crap out of it 24/7 or use some REALLY good paint).

I dunno, if you're wanting to make it all look original and stock-ish, going for restoration points or the mundane/sleeper thing, then that's all fine n' dandy. But if you're looking to make it really stand out, there's a whole slew of other shades and hues to pick from that would look far better. MCR just looks so ... I dunno ... STOCK. :)

But then, color's a subjective opinion thing no matter what, so ...

FWIW, I could post shots of the inside of my door panels and the option code sticker, if it pleases...? :D

It sounds like your car got the shaft, Darkwriter. I understand the red paint and sun, but mine was a very good paint job and has held up well. It has baked in the Texas sun 8-10 hours everyday during the week for almost 19 years. I only wax it twice a year, and it is just in the past couple of years started to go bad. Not to say it hasn't faded some between waxings, but a good Meguires finish restorer, polish and wax returns it back to new.

And yes, the whole reason I like the color is the relative "sleeper" look as opposed to bright red. :D A speeding dark red car is not as obvious as a bright red one, especially when you drive it everyday! (only 1 speeding ticket in 19 years, not to say I didn't deserve several more!) I had a choice of all the colors when I bought mine, but the only other one I considered was black. Glad I didn't get it, that would have been harder to take care of IMO.

On, and here is another pic I found on the net. The inspiration for the bullitt wheels and Cobra brakes on mine.

cabernethatch.jpg