PICTURES: Having lots of fun doing the PI head swap

Dan_Soprano said:
My advise would be to pull the block and get it machined if you have the time and money. Do it right the first time. If not, some Carb Cleaner should work wonders. Also, might as well change out your water pump since you have the timing cover off. Good luck bro!

I got this advice from almost everybody I talk to......and since I hate hearing people tell me that they told me so, I had a shop rebuild the bottom end also.

I'm glad I did, the pistons and rings where really worn, especially on the underside. The shop also painted my block :banana:

The car feel so strong now, especially in the higher RPM's....can't wait to get a dyno tune and hit the tracks next year.

• Sponsors (?)

Why would you remove the carbon buildup from the pistons.

I used to race go carts and build the engines, and we always left it on. It should not hurt anything, just get pushed out the exhaust if anything. apparently the carbon decreases the volume of the combustion chamber and increases your compression ratio.

It does look better clean though! :nice:

theosan said:
I got this advice from almost everybody I talk to......and since I hate hearing people tell me that they told me so, I had a shop rebuild the bottom end also.

I'm glad I did, the pistons and rings where really worn, especially on the underside. The shop also painted my block :banana:

The car feel so strong now, especially in the higher RPM's....can't wait to get a dyno tune and hit the tracks next year.

Do you have pics of your short block after the rebuild. Also did you get knew pistons and rings or did the shop rebuild those also.

NicksBullitt said:
Why would you remove the carbon buildup from the pistons.

I used to race go carts and build the engines, and we always left it on. It should not hurt anything, just get pushed out the exhaust if anything. apparently the carbon decreases the volume of the combustion chamber and increases your compression ratio.

It does look better clean though! :nice:

You are right about the increase in compression from the carbon...I think.

But carbon buildup on the pistons actually creates hot spots that can cause the air/fuel mixture to pre-ignite. That may be cool on a go-karts but not on a car. :)

sacstoy02gt said:
Oven cleaner.
Should take the carbon off nicely.
I just bought FoxLake Stage 2 Heads and Comp Cam's (XE270AH) and a Diablosport Predator Programmer and BBK Shorty Equal-Length Headers.I'm not installing them myself Dallas Mustang is.I'm just wondering what i might run in a 1/4 after all of this work. I have just about all the bolton's. I run right now Real Low 13's in a 1/4. Everybody i've talked to that did the Heads and Cam's Swap got a little over 300rwhp, i know mine should run very good. Several people said i should get bigger gears also,cause my 3.73's are not enough gear, i should go with 4.10's or 4.30's they say.I'm probably getting 4.10's to see how there going to do.As far as i know everybody that has done the Heads and Cam's Swap has like it,so i'll let everyone know how it goes.Hope to get them installed this weekend or next. :banana:

FrostyGT said:
I just bought FoxLake Stage 2 Heads and Comp Cam's (XE270AH) and a Diablosport Predator Programmer and BBK Shorty Equal-Length Headers.I'm not installing them myself Dallas Mustang is.I'm just wondering what i might run in a 1/4 after all of this work. I have just about all the bolton's. I run right now Real Low 13's in a 1/4. Everybody i've talked to that did the Heads and Cam's Swap got a little over 300rwhp, i know mine should run very good. Several people said i should get bigger gears also,cause my 3.73's are not enough gear, i should go with 4.10's or 4.30's they say.I'm probably getting 4.10's to see how there going to do.As far as i know everybody that has done the Heads and Cam's Swap has like it,so i'll let everyone know how it goes.Hope to get them installed this weekend or next. :banana:
If i put a 75-100 Shot of Nitrous would it be to much. I just don't won't to Blow Up the Motor.If i do this with all the work i've done to it, it should run some good 11's in a 1/4. :nice:

i'm so grad I have 99+. I tried to take my Valve cover off of my 2001 GT, and I gave up, because I could not take one stinking bolt off!!
I can't imagine if I have to do PI swap myself :( .............