PIR Late-Night Drags (March 7/8)

Hey guys, looking to do some runs at PIR during the next open drag session. I haven't run anything at a dragstrip for years, so I'll say I have pretty much 0 experience.

Looking for someone to go with and possibly give me some pointers here and there.

I see threads here and there of people mentioning that they are going, but it seems fairly random. Is there a regular group of members that gets together for PIR Drags like we do for Starbucks...or is it just a deal where everyone goes by themselves and meeting up with each other is really hit and miss?

• Sponsors (?)

Matt,

You should go when the HeadsupNW guys run. They are a great bunch of guys and can give you many pointers. They are a bit faster then most cars but it cost about the same to run with them and you can possibly win cash and a trophy. Here's the link with thier race schedule. http://www.headsupnw.com/

PIR is hit and miss on who shows up for late night drags but I'm sure a few on here will be there to meet up with you.

Hopefully i'll be hitting the track way more now that i seperated from the biotch! The only pointer i can give you is dont shift like me! peace

john:p

I like to think I've always been rather good at shifting...but I definitely need to work on my launches!!!! That's where I'm concerned. I'm HORRIBLE at launching from a dead stop. At least with this car anyway. I had it down with the Mustang, but I just can't seem to get it with the Vette.

I either don't slip the clutch right and it wheelhops like crazy, or I drop the clutch to quick and it just smokes out the rear tires until I let off the gas. I need a LOT of practice. I fear the first few sessions at PIR are going to be quite embarassing. :D

I like to think I've always been rather good at shifting...but I definitely need to work on my launches!!!! That's where I'm concerned. I'm HORRIBLE at launching from a dead stop. At least with this car anyway. I had it down with the Mustang, but I just can't seem to get it with the Vette.

I either don't slip the clutch right and it wheelhops like crazy, or I drop the clutch to quick and it just smokes out the rear tires until I let off the gas. I need a LOT of practice. I fear the first few sessions at PIR are going to be quite embarassing. :D

Just believe your at a stop light heading to the store:shrug: Maybe have some music playing to relax you:shrug:

-Will

Checking to make sure I'm ready to head to the track this weekend and want to make sure I have what I need to make a few passes. I may go tonight, but probably not since rain is in the forecast. Definitely tomorrow though.

With that in mind, I'm trying to figure out if I will need a helmet. According to the PIR information in the link below, I think I need a helmet if I think I will run 13.99 or lower???

The car might be capable of a 12.90-13.2, but being this is my first time I'm sure a few NASTY runs are going to occur. I'm sure I'll be lucky to nail a 13.5. But either way, I want to be prepared. Let's say 12.90 is the cutoff point, the chances are extremely slim that I could ever run that...but again I want to be prepared.

According to the list below...all I would need is a helmet? If that's the case, can I rent one at the track?

http://www.portlandraceway.com/docs/2007%20NHRA%20E.T.%20Quick%20Ref.pdf

There is also the next link, which I read as anything above an 11.49 as not needing anything. So I'm a little confused.

http://www.portlandraceway.com/docs/Basic_Tech_2006_1.pdf

Thanks!

Checking to make sure I'm ready to head to the track this weekend and want to make sure I have what I need to make a few passes. I may go tonight, but probably not since rain is in the forecast. Definitely tomorrow though.

With that in mind, I'm trying to figure out if I will need a helmet. According to the PIR information in the link below, I think I need a helmet if I think I will run 13.99 or lower???

The car might be capable of a 12.90-13.2, but being this is my first time I'm sure a few NASTY runs are going to occur. I'm sure I'll be lucky to nail a 13.5. But either way, I want to be prepared. Let's say 12.90 is the cutoff point, the chances are extremely slim that I could ever run that...but again I want to be prepared.

According to the list below...all I would need is a helmet? If that's the case, can I rent one at the track?

http://www.portlandraceway.com/docs/2007%20NHRA%20E.T.%20Quick%20Ref.pdf

There is also the next link, which I read as anything above an 11.49 as not needing anything. So I'm a little confused.

http://www.portlandraceway.com/docs/Basic_Tech_2006_1.pdf

Thanks!

You will need a helmet and as far as I know you cant rent one at the track. They also check the helmet for a DOT or SNELL rating but I cant remember what the minimum ratings are. If you are running non-runflats and can hook you should be able get into the 12's with about 108 mph trap. Good luck and watch out for wheel hop.

Awesome, thanks!

Running a brand new set of Firestone Firehawk Wide Ovals for tires. Increased both front/rear tires sizes to 265/295's. The tires probably have "maybe" 30 miles on them. We'll see if traction is any good if I can get the launch right. I'm definitely going to start out slow(shifting) and also get off it immediately if I feel any wheel hop.

Thanks again!

Awesome, thanks!

Running a brand new set of Firestone Firehawk Wide Ovals for tires. Increased both front/rear tires sizes to 265/295's. The tires probably have "maybe" 30 miles on them. We'll see if traction is any good if I can get the launch right. I'm definitely going to start out slow(shifting) and also get off it immediately if I feel any wheel hop.

Thanks again!

How did it work out for you??

Not so good.

I've had a ticking noise for quite a while. I went out with the wife in the car earlier in the day and the ticking noise was driving me insane. Got nervous about going to the drags with it like that.

So...last night I took of the valve covers and checked all the valve springs, and rocker arms. I pulled all the pushrods and checked to see if any were bent. Everything checked out fine. Been dealing with this ticking noise for a long time. Only thing I haven't checked yet are the lifters and I think the lifter for the exhaust valve on Cylinder 6 might be the culprit. Don't know for sure though.

I'm doing a head/cam setup before too long and going to replace the lifters at that time anyway, so I'm going to ignore it for now.

So...going next weekend.