piston question

KreagerM

Nov 24, 2005
Maryland
Need some advice about pistons, compression and all that good stuff. Here is what I have. A 289 bored .030 over with silvolite 1157 dished pistons (http://kb-silvolite.com/spistons.php?action=details&S_id=106, stock heads in a C code 65 with a 2V carb. I guess I'm wondering what my compression would be with these pistons. I've searched all around and found the stock compression should be around 9.3:1 with stock pistons, but I wasn't sure if these pistons were the original design. Any help would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

It says that it is 8.2:1 compression but it does not give a size on the combustion chamber. That may be the ratio it produces on the stock 54cc combustion chambers. Which is very low I wouldn't do it, the minimum I would run would be a 9:1, 10:1 is right where I prefer it on a good reliable street motor. But that's my own preference, I like high compression.

with 54cc combustion chambers, your compression ratio should be right around 9:1. i would go with a flattop piston instead. that should bump the compression to about 9.7:1.

Look at the part# 1195 Silvolites. These have a smaller dish and a taller comp height to get the comp ratio up where you want it. The 1157's and others have a 1.585 comp height that sets the piston top .025 down the hole at TDC, the 1195's put it right at zero deck with a 1.608 comp height.