• Professional Products

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • BBK

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • other (please specify)

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Sponsors (?)

I am running a Mac 70mm TB into a PP Plenum. I dont think the extra money of an Accufab or the like is worth the extra "Bling". My setup runs great.

I dont think it's so much a matter of "bling" as much as it is a matter of better flowing and more power :shrug:

Im beginning to research TB's and plenums for my next mods and I want the absolute best-flowing/most HP I can get (money not an issue).

Honestly, they are all with 3 hp of one another (based upon the old Modular Depot test). I'd get whichever one is the cheapest (and off topic, but made in the US).

And flow is only important up to a limit, then it's either unused or actually hurts performance (ie. a 80mm throttlebody on a naturally aspirated 4.6).

In one dyno test Accufab made the most power, but again, it was by a factor of 2 or 3 horsepower.

I'll just have to vote on the stock unit.

The TB alone is useless. I've dynoed it and proven it on my headswap car. There might be a gain with the tb/plenum at the track, but minimal at best

As always, I have advocated against this mod. A recent board member just showed us a loss in HP over the stock unit. I got criticized for stating that it was a waste. Guess what? An honest board member, Georgio proved what I tested.

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...-78mm-bbk-throttle-intake-dyno-situation.html

What many people gain is throttle reponse, or a dyno graph/tune with the new tb/plenum. Track numbers are where is counts.

I do admit, I have not track tested the tb/plenum combo at the track on the same day with the same DA and weather/track conditions, as I have done with other 2v parts. But I don't put any stock in this mod for a bolt on 2v. For a fully geared(4.10-4.30) car with weight reduction/cams/heads, then I can see going for this. But for a street car, it is just money wasted to me.

I dont think it's so much a matter of "bling" as much as it is a matter of better flowing and more power :shrug:

Im beginning to research TB's and plenums for my next mods and I want the absolute best-flowing/most HP I can get (money not an issue).

The price difference is way more than the power difference. Also Winters is pretty dead on. You'll really only see big power gains with FI. Now throttle response and slight power gains, you will get. Also slightly better mpg's

I've seen a t/b plenum combo gain 2-3 mph in the 1/4. Pretty consistent. Now I voted accufab as it is hands down the best quality and does make the most power (minimal I know, but its all about power). Anyway, you can get away with the cheaper ones but with pro products and other knock offs, be prepared to spend some time with a bit to smooth it out and get rid of all the casting flash....

OK, good topic and think I can add to the conversation with my personal experience.

Setup: First time at the track, my mods were PI intake, PI cams, Steeda Pulley, FRPP catback and 3:90 gears (stock plenum and TB). I ran a best of [email protected] mph with a 2.02 60'.

Added TF plenum and 70mm FRPP TB, DRs and welded in Bassani mufflers into the FRPP catback, so this isn't a test of only the tb/plenum, but it's fairly close. and went back a few months later.

With these mods, I ran a best of [email protected] mph, backed up by a number of 13.8s and others in the 13s. My take from this was that with my previous mods, adding the TB/Plenum helped unleash some power that was there, but was being restricted.

you know whats funny, im still the only one that has posted a dyno sheet and offered to post videos and any thing you guys want to show the numbers. Also going to track, want me to do a video there to? I will do it if requested. Its funny that a lot of people want to talk smack online, but never show anything to back it up. If you want I have a pi head swap car, non pi head car and a pi head car i can test on. I will do the dyno test with my car de-tuned, on the pi swap car tuned and the non pi car untune.

Don't get the Trick Flow. Unless you want your car to sound supercharged. Thats what I have and it whistles like crazy. Drives me insane.

Then you have installed it wrong(not tightened everything up properly, or you may have ripped a gasket in the installation process.) I got the TF 75mm TB and plenum and have not had any complaints other than having to drill out the TPS bolts and the throttle cable being a PITA to install on the TF, other than that I have seen about 2 MPG more since the install with heavy city driving without any other changes to my car...and throttle response definitely feels better too.

you know whats funny, im still the only one that has posted a dyno sheet and offered to post videos and any thing you guys want to show the numbers. Also going to track, want me to do a video there to? I will do it if requested. Its funny that a lot of people want to talk smack online, but never show anything to back it up. If you want I have a pi head swap car, non pi head car and a pi head car i can test on. I will do the dyno test with my car de-tuned, on the pi swap car tuned and the non pi car untune.

I thought I gave pretty specific information about pre and post Plenum/tb combo:shrug:. Don't trust? DRs don't add any speed (mph) and muffs were already upgraded over stock and don't add much anyway. If you want actual proof, here's the runs and there are vids on my photobucket page if you really want to see some runs. I'm not saying it works all the time and to every situation, but for me the tb/plenum made gains.

Pre TB/Plenum
QuarterMileRun.jpg

Post Tb/Plenum (plus mufflers and DRs)
timesheet1372-1.jpg

I thought I gave pretty specific information about pre and post Plenum/tb combo:shrug:. Don't trust? DRs don't add any speed (mph) and muffs were already upgraded over stock and don't add much anyway. If you want actual proof, here's the runs and there are vids on my photobucket page if you really want to see some runs. I'm not saying it works all the time and to every situation, but for me the tb/plenum made gains.

Pre TB/Plenum
QuarterMileRun.jpg

Post Tb/Plenum (plus mufflers and DRs)
timesheet1372-1.jpg

Im glad to see this, I posted a dyno sheet of the bbk 78mm setup showing 10rwhp on SAE, everyone was jumping down on me like i was crazy.:shrug: IM going to the track tomorrow, im going to do some testing myself and see how much of lost I get when I take off the tb/plenum. My avg time is 13.6@101 w/ a 2.0 60ft full weight.

Im glad to see this, I posted a dyno sheet of the bbk 78mm setup showing 10rwhp on SAE, everyone was jumping down on me like i was crazy.:shrug: IM going to the track tomorrow, im going to do some testing myself and see how much of lost I get when I take off the tb/plenum. My avg time is 13.6@101 w/ a 2.0 60ft full weight.

Man, the dyno sheet you posted was SEVERELY FLAWED. You claim that 10rwhp was gained, but you neglect to mention that on that run, the a/f dropped from WAY, WAY lean, to only slightly lean. Of course it picked up horsepower. Maybe the plenum gained some of the at 10, but most of it was the a/f change.

Thanks for posting the dyno, but it simply does not indicate that the plenum/tb gained any hp.

A timeslip from may vs a time slip from october? I imagine D/A has alot to do with that time slip :shrug:

+1, the car needs to be run multiple times, 8 runs in all, switching the tb plenum after each 2 runs while letting the car cool down. Track the DA, exact shift points, etc on all the runs. We did this with the bbk cold air kit at Navasota Raceway on my car to get an accurate assessment.