Plug issues

Sharkster

Oct 25, 2004
Here lately my 01 Cobra hasnt seemed to be running full strength. It really started after my last plug change. I set the gap at what I thought was .51 or .52 . I decided that maybe something was up with the plugs and pulled them all out tonight and regapped them to .52. I noticed that none of them were the same. 1 was .55, 3 were at .54 and and the rest right at .53. Im like WTF all were set identical DUH.
On cylinders 4 and 6 I noticed a very light coat of oil on the threads towards the top away from the gap. Rest of the plug looked great, all had normal tan to light grey on the tips etc. #'s 4 and 6 looked just as good except for that oil. Do I need to be worried about a compression leak here is ot possible that some found its way down in the plug wells?
I was looking into a leakdown test anyhow.... only $100 for the full leakdown.
Was thinking about buying some iridiums tomorrow. Damn those things are expensive!!!

• Sponsors (?)

I would say the oil found it's way into the plug wells. The only other way it would be there is if they were not tightened and were allowing seepage.

The gap may have something to do with it...what kind of plugs did you use for replacement?

coramprat said:
The gap may have something to do with it...what kind of plugs did you use for replacement?
Currently there are autolite APP764 double platinums. I was wondering about the iridium no gaps? Yes/no? I looked for the bosch coppers and the autolite coppers as well as all series of the ngk. The books didnt show any coppers for the 4.6 DOHC only the SOHC. Idiots didnt have any NGK series for my car. Hell
Autozone didnt even have any NGK for my car.

Sharkster said:
Currently there are autolite APP764 double platinums. I was wondering about the iridium no gaps? Yes/no? I looked for the bosch coppers and the autolite coppers as well as all series of the ngk. The books didnt show any coppers for the 4.6 DOHC only the SOHC.

The Autolite copper plug for the DOHC is the A764. Same numbering as the plugs you have now just minus the PP, which means double platnium.

Gap should be 0.054". I assume that's what you meant and not 0.54".

yeah thats what i meant. I regapped all of them to .052 instaed of .054. Car idles at 1000rpm's now instead of 800 like before. Throttle response is much better now for some reason.

Platinums are pre-gapped also. If you gap them it could damage the electrode causing the problems you described unless you have a gapping tool that allows you to gap them without touching the electrode.

Took it out for a run a few minutes ago. Regapping those plugs made all of the difference in the world. I have my power back. I gapped them at .052 and the throttle response is excellent, nice and tight. Not one bit of hesitation. It idles at 1000 rpm's now. Got pull like it had when I first got it. nasty nasty nasty