Police are getting new license plate recognition technology - Video inside

• Sponsors (?)

That sucks...eventually we will be getting mulitible tickets per day for BS things like "going 1MPH over for 2 seconds, 20 miles from civilation", "Our software determined that you didnt completely stop at the stop sign...you were going .000001MPH " . ect.

Too much control is a bad thing sometimes....its human nature to break the law a bit. Although I can see this devices good aspects, its just going to give us problems, and is soly for making the states/government more money from traffic violations IMO.

Sounds like a great improvement to me.

He said nothing about speeders, stop signs, or anything like that. In fact, stuff like that has already been implemented. None of yall live around any of those camera speed traps? I know they got em in Wash. D.C. Ask people there how lenient those are. I don't know personally, but I imagine they leave some room for human error, just as most cops do. The machines aren't taking over. They're put in the middle of cities though, and in school zones, so if your caught speeding there, suck it up and take the ticket.

Anything that helps cops get uninsured/unlicensed drivers off the road, and arrest car thieves and other criminals, sounds like a great idea to me.

There is nothing to be worried about, unless you do stupid **** like drive without insurance, drive without a license, steal cars, etc. Definately shouldn't be grouped together with all the "big brother" stuff.

I also agree that this is ingenious. The only people that complain about new technology like this are the people with a criminal mindset and/or people who are currently in trouble with the law. If you are not doing anything wrong, then you have nothing to worry about in the first place.

From what I understand, the focus of this is being placed on recovering stolen cars, stolen plates, finding bad guys with warrants, etc. I honestly don't think they will incorporate this technology into traffic law in any way.

If it can get some of the uninsured cars thats good, maybe insurance rates
would start to drop a tiny bit. I dont exactly like paying a s___ load of $$$
for insurance when there are a bunch of people driving around without it.

Well they are not arresting the car. The important thing is that the software will likely help to apprehend the person(s) involved in the theft of the car and any crimes that may have commited in that car.

Yeah I know, I was joking around when I made that comment. I honestly think it's a great idea if used for the correct purpose (checking for stolen cars, crimes, uninsured cars, etc). However, all the tools are in place to easily tranfer the technology to traffic enforcement. Not saying it WILL happen, but is sure CAN.

I think the only way that police officers won't use this for traffic control is when the officers themselves get busted on a frequent basis when driving their personal vehicles, or their family members start getting busted...since after all, the computer couldn't discriminate.

I am also one of the ones that thinks this is a good idea. I can see the benefit of finding uninsured drivers, stolen cars, cars involved in amber alerts, etc. As far as it being used for traffic enforcement, so what. I don't see it having anymore of an impact than radar. If you can't afford ticket don't speed.