Poll: LSx Motor in a Mustang

LSx Motor in a Mustang

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DougNuts

Founding Member
Jul 11, 2000
Georgetown Ky
Ok guys, at the risk of being banned permanently from Stangnet, I have to ask.

What do you guys think about a chevy motor in a mustang? Let's face it, the LS2, LS6 and LS7 are better than any windsor motor, especially when you factor in cost and weight.

I want to keep my car N/A and the best way I see to make sick power, get decent mileage and get an aluminum block motor is to go to a LSx motor.

This is something I thought I would never, ever do, but now I can't seem to get the idea out of my mind. Blame it on the sick dyno tests they do in Hot Rod with these motors.....:nonono:

Some may call it going to the dark side, but I'm starting to see it as mixing the best of two american brands. :flag:

Keep in mind, the LSx motors are aluminum block and are quite a bit cheaper than building an aluminum windsor. I want my car to handle, so an aluminum block is something I will lust after until I get one.

• Sponsors (?)

LS engines are GREAT engines, there is no denying that. They can make some sick numbers with not a lot of work.

I still hate seeing different brands of engines mixed with different brand of cars.

I will admit that I recently went through a similar situation (and I never posted about it here) in that I was going to buy a wrecked '03-'04 cobra and do a terminator engine and trans swap into my '95. I'd have a killer shortblock that could make INSANE numbers and yet be very streetable, more-so I believe than a comparable pushrod setup that makes the same power.

There's a guy on a local site here that is doing a LS conversion into a fox coupe. I can't wait to see how it turns out, but its still something I'd never do.

if it can be swapped easily I wouldn't oppose it. Seems like alot of work, I would just slap on a turbo 302 and call it a day :)

im doing a ls1 rx-7 soon.. 2700 pds 50/50 weight balance after the swap

no power adders needed, no extra vert weight or extra rear passenger section of the car

perfect for me

with just a 350hp ls1 swap people have been running 11.4 on IRS

pleasehelp said:
How much cheaper are the LSX engines compare to the terminator??

I honestly don't have the numbers, but I was under the impression that a SC4.6 crate motor was close to 10 grand while I think an LS2 is around $5-6K.

I would look up the exact costs, but I don't have the time while at work. :(

Some of the wrecked '03-'04 cobras I was looking at sold for between $9K-$12K. That's for the entire car. Take what you want from it and part the rest out and your cost drops dramatically.

Joes95GT said:
With the new Cobras, I've always said they'd be my dream car if Ford put a solid rear axle and a LS1 in them.

They'd be even more of a dream car if they had an LS7 in them.

Joe

That's what I'm screaming Joe. Granted it would be more money than I would spend, but there are LS7 based aftermarket parts out there that will allow you to build 600-700hp naturally aspirated stroker smallblocks!

Built Ford tough with Chevy stuff!
:D

I personally don't like Chevy powered Fords, but the LSx wouldn't be too bad. It would be kinda funny to beat the Chevy guys with their own engine. :D

I think i would do a 03/04 cobra motor swap before the LS1. But then again, i mean lay out all your costs...including the price of the headaches u will encounter in getting the motor in there.

I dont knock the idea. Personally, i love mustang bodies and i love the lsX motors...so why not have them together? :lol: Its not original. But it is "cool" for the fact that u actually did it.

I say if u can do it for a justified price, go for it.

aje makes k-members for ls1 swaps. i came a proverbial 2" from doing it.

flat out it is just too cheap to make big N/A power. not to mention it is the only N/A, daily driveable, pushrod V8 to make 100hp/liter.

oh yeah, alum block, easy to work on, small sized engine.

LS1 into a BMW 318ti is a killer swap.

Go for it. I havent heard of anyone doing it in a 94/95, so it would be interesting no doubt.

The other nice thing about ls1's, is that they are a modern day 5.0 in the way of aftermarket parts. You can find parts in classifieds for short money, and they are plentiful.

I would go for the terminator swap first.

But yes, the LS1s are amazing.

Don't be ashamed, you have every right to do what you want.

And logically it would only make sense to have your favorite car with your favorite engine with your favorite wheels etc. etc.

Good luck whatever you do, but I must say their WILL be a lot of headaches, wiring is a bitch.