Pony Wheels!!!

Shawneebear93

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
May 4, 2004
Salisbury Twp, Allentown, PA
I saw a set in the classifieds today and went an hour later and picked them up for $200. The tires are shot, NO tread on the rears and barely any on the fronts. They were 245/45ZR Sumitomo or some Asian name. I brought them home and cleaned them up after work tonight - I don't have any clean pictures because I'm too lazy to unstack them now.

Since the files are too large to upload as attachments and I don't have anywhere to host them, check my website!
Ponies

EDIT: What are some good, cheap tires? Tread life isn't a huge concern; 10 holes in the winter (late October - early April) and I won't be doing many burnouts, but I don't want to replace them every other year either. Dr., I think you had Ecsta 712s that you like, right? Throw out some names and prices everybody. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

711s are ok if you drive in 70*+ weather all the time. When it gets cold, they get hard and don't hold the road. Aside from wearing excessivly fast, they are ok, but not rated for the snow.
My favoirte tire so far is the Yokohoma Avid V4s. They were under 90$/each from tirerack and have a traction of AA and a treadwear of 500. Hard to beat that kind of combination. They handle as well as the kuhmo 711s did and they are an all season tire so you can drive in the snow without getting stuck on level ground.

Good deal. I personally love the Yoko Avids.
I just did a 331 swap into a guy's 92 and he gave me the ponies and near new Avids off of it as a trade.

I had a set of Avids on the SVO and they worked well. I got about 3k miles on them, but those were basically all hard auto X miles. On the ole' 5.0 the Yoko's had like 21k on them and were still in good shape.

Update:
Threw them on this weekend to prove to my Dad they'd fit. The tires are BALD 245/45 Sumitomos. I ordered 225/50 Fuzion ZRi's. Should be here this week. Not sure when I will get them put on. Hopefully the 50s won't leave too much wheelwell. If they do, it's just another reason to get some lowering springs.
View attachment 484573
View attachment 484575
View attachment 484577
Tires were shipped about noon Monday and arrrived by 10:30 AM Tuesday!
View attachment 484580
View attachment 484581
ZRi.jpg

Attachments

• ZRi.jpg
    ZRi.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 59
I found a link that will allow you to compare tire sizes and see some actual measurements. If you do go to that 225/50 remember your speedo will not be accurate. http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp?action=submit&reset=yes
I have 215/60r15's, according to the calculator your 225/50 will be .39" wider. 50 sounds like some big meats, but really only just a little bit bigger than my 60's. As you know, you should have no problem fitting them on there. I do however notice that my drivers side tire rubs some on colder days, maybe because of the strut being cold, not sure, but it only happens when it is cold. How is the turning radius with those tires making a tight quick turn?

glowstang93 said:
I found a link that will allow you to compare tire sizes and see some actual measurements. If you do go to that 225/50 remember your speedo will not be accurate. http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp?action=submit&reset=yes
I have 215/60r15's, according to the calculator your 225/50 will be .39" wider. 50 sounds like some big meats, but really only just a little bit bigger than my 60's. As you know, you should have no problem fitting them on there. I do however notice that my drivers side tire rubs some on colder days, maybe because of the strut being cold, not sure, but it only happens when it is cold. How is the turning radius with those tires making a tight quick turn?
Thanks for the link. I knew they would fit, my Dad is just a ball-buster and wanted to be sure. I only drove them for ~2 miles with those wheels on, and I was driving careful because they were real wide (245s), but in a parking lot I made a U-turn and it I didn't take it lock to lock but it seemed to turn fine. How can I fix the speedometer, or can't I? That link you gave me said the 225/50s will read 2.573% too fast, which isn't major.