Poor ride quality

Therian

The Highlander
Founding Member
Apr 21, 2002
Waterloo, Ontario
I'm not sure - maybe I just expected more out of my new suspension, or maybe something is wrong. I just don't think the ride is where it should be.

Newly installed:

Tokico Illuminas 5way
MM STB
03 FLCAs
Aluminum rack bushings
Tie rod ends
(eibach pro-kit...has been on there for a while)

Basically, driving around, I get all sorts of creaks and annoying noises. Going over bumps feels awful, and is extremely jarring.

I have the Tokicos set on 2 on the fronts, and 1 on the rears (1 is soft, 2 is stiff). I also have 18" rims, which is probably hurting me more than anything.

Is there anything else I can do to make the ride better? It's starting to really get to me. The only thing I could think of is subframes. It would probably help with the creaks and annoying rattles while turning, but I don't know how much it would do for ride quality.

• Sponsors (?)

Subframes did help my vert a LOT...

But you are right in that the eurathane bishigns transmit a lot of vibration and noise from the road and driveline...

If I had to guess.. the new components are stiffening up the suspension so much over what was there that you are feelign the issues elsewhere.. I would go with SFCs... I know mine is a vert but it made a HUGE difference in my car...

One issue is that one man's rough is another's 'just right'.

All I can offer is more subjectiveness. Prokit and HP's here. It's harsh. There is almost no compression so chunked-up parts of the road are like going over RR tracks. Smooth roads are wonderful and it corners really well.

I was disappointed in the new FLCA's. I didnt feel one bit of difference. My old arms had 100K on them and the Clevite bushings had some cracks. I still couldnt tell crap.

i dunno man, i went with bilsteins and am pretty satisfied with the ride quality..

the more you modify the stang's suspension the harsher the ride is going to get, if your into ride quality swapping out to irs in the rear is your best bet..

but yea its a mustang not a bmw

that aside your going to NEED subframes.. subframes got rid of all the squeaks in my car, the only thing that annoys me now (that i cant fix) is the windshield shaking over a hard bump. I did remove the 25pd weight so that did not help.

bilsteins have the best ride quality.. but you pay a bit more.

IRS+BILSTEINS+COIL OVER KIT is the best its going to get on a stang , (some say it rides like a caddy but people have different definitions for "caddy ride")

Honestly I don't mind a rough ride.. I rode in a brand new 07 civic si with double wishbone? It was alright, nothing that made me feel I was "missing out". I like to feel the ground...

Now a 1000 mile trip in a panhardbar/torque arm mustang is a different story, that can get fatiguing

I know. I am saying in general that's why I don't use poly bushings anywhere else. So we know your choice was good there Therian. The rims are probably the killer - although they look awesome.

I am suprised at the eibach comments unless I am getting it mixed up...aren't the sportlines more aggressive? or do I have it reversed.

Considering I have those springs and the ride is just fine (and I am picky), and what I have heard about low profile 18's, I would guess it is your rims. ... I am trying to think of a way you could keep those cool rims and offset the effects of them somehow for driveability. Considering you already have stock bushings, .... you could go to less aggressive springs...and a LARGER front sway bar for less lean...

I am not an EXPERT on handling but something has to give somehwere on your mods.. anyone else?

I ran the H&R Race springs with the Tokiko 5 way's set on 5, and I loved it. It was smooth and rode far better than my stock 89 Convert. Set on 2 or 1, the ride was waaay too soft for me, it'd nosedive while braking etc.. Good for the strip, but that's it.

Not sure what your cars issue is.. My stock 150K mile suspension on my 94 rode worse than my Race springs and Tokiko's.

Guess you should ride in my cobra, it'd make your car feel like a caddilac. :D