Pop goes the 4th gear!? ... and reverse too

Stangrider

Founding Member
Jun 29, 2001
Las Vegas, NV
I'm sure the issue has been posted before but I can't find anything on it today. So, the shifter has popped out of 4th gear on me twice during the last 3 weeks. The 2nd time as I was taking my hand off it, the damn thing smacked me on the wrist. Oh yeah, that hurt a bit. The thing is, I didn't hear any grinding noises or clunking when it popped out from 4th into neutral both times. I just realize that my RPMs are rising and no more power...heh heh. The one time it popped out of reverse was a few months ago and I didn't really think anything of it until 4th started popping out. Thanks for any info!!

• Sponsors (?)

Ha ha ha!! Yeah, I'm hoping it's just the fact that I hadn't pushed it into gear all the way. But no, the 2 instances I wrote about earlier was when I made sure the shifter was in gear all the way. So, I don't know. Hopefully it is just my own errors...

i had the same experience with my second gear. I noticed that if i was putting power on it...i had no problems. But when i was just strolling on it, it tend to pop out. Like if it was needing torque to get in.

So i went to the dealer with a letter explaining exacltly what it was doing...not a complexe one or bull****, almost like over here. just to make sure nothing was lost between the reception guy and the mechanic.

And what do you know they open the tranny no questions ask and change a couple of part...good for me they were the new one. And what do you know now no problem, and for a bonus 1-2 shift is going smother than ever even at red line.

moreause said:
And what do you know they open the tranny no questions ask and change a couple of part...good for me they were the new one. And what do you know now no problem, and for a bonus 1-2 shift is going smother than ever even at red line.

did they tell you what they did? im sure some of the people here are interested

moreause, am I correct in assuming your ride is still under warranty? That's cool of the dealership to do that right away. Usually, they'll BS you around. Mine has an aftermarket extended warranty so I don't know what they'll cover. I did talk to the local dealership here in LV and the service manager was really cool in explaining what I needed to do. It it's covered by my plan, all I have to do is take it in :) When I bought the car, the fuggers at the dealership didn't tell me it wasn't a FORD ESP. So, what all did they do to fix up your tranny?

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

they changed these part..that is what i got on my bill.
1- 3r3z 7124 BA moyeu-synchr (???)
2- 3r3z 7102 AA pignon 2e (seconde gear)
3- 1r3z 7052 AA bague d'etan (seal)
4- 1r3z 7052 CA bague d'etan (seal)
5- 3r3z 7107 AA anneau synch (synchro)
6- 1r3z 7L082 AA piece glisso (??)

sorry it in french...it's the way it is over here :spot:

it was still under warranty. i only got 25000 KM but he knew he would end up with it...2002 gt have 5 year 100 000 KM powertrain waranty so i had time left to break it. And my dealer had a guy who do only hard stuff...trans and gear. I put 3.73 ffrp gear at the same time.

:banana: :banana:
if they could fix my engine under warranty to ...is it suppose to have 500HP :p lol