ported stock heads with speed density?

Ted87GT

Founding Member
Sep 21, 2001
Southern Maine
alright I'm wondering if i could port my stock cylinder heads a little bit without converting to mass air and still run ok. I could probably get a good deal on the porting job from my boss but I don't want my car to run like garbage. It already has a trick flow street intake so i dont want to push the speed density too far. would i get a decent power increase? thanks

• Sponsors (?)

People are so uninformed when it comes to speed density. You run any type of heads and any type of intake ... you can also upgrade the cam if your smart about what you choose. Just remember your gonna need a custom chip burned if your combo will need over 24lb injectors but for a NA combo most people wont.

emagdnim said:
People are so uninformed when it comes to speed density. You run any type of heads and any type of intake ... you can also upgrade the cam if your smart about what you choose. Just remember your gonna need a custom chip burned if your combo will need over 24lb injectors but for a NA combo most people wont.

Uninformed or under imformed :p... You'll be fine, bud..

MustangPunk302 said:
No, anything that effects vaccum. (i.e. cam)

Changing the amount of air that you get into and out of the engine will not effect your car... To be safe you can leave the stock cam and the car will run even faster than it already does.

I had an 86 with ported GT40's and ported Cobra with the stock cam and it ran very well (after I switched out the crappy 86 computer for an 88 SD computer).

You'll be fine, may run a little quicker/more hp than a similarly equipped (stock mass air meter'd) car due to there not being a restriction in the air intake path.

bolt em up and go--If you can get a great deal on the porting. If not, I would look for a set of GT40's or P's (which can be had for 300 bux or so).