Possible purchase tomorrow...will I wish I hadn't? Tranny ?

hillie16

Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
I'm in a situation where I pretty much have to buy a car in the next day or so. I was looking at Ford Fusions, but happened upon an '05 GT. The only problem is, it's an automatic. I'm one of those that said I would NEVER buy a car like this with an auto, but I'd much rather have a stang again since I just sold my GTS. I'd like an opinion from some guys who have the automatic....do you wish you had gotten the stick instead? It's about the ONLY used S197 in the area in my price range. It's either buy this one, or get a Fusion and get some other stang who knows how many years from now. Will I end up hating the auto? Is the auto that much slower?

• Sponsors (?)

It all depends on what it is you hate about the automatic? If you want a manual for the fun factor then don't get the auto, if you're against the auto because of the Fox and SN-95 slush boxes then don't worry like DarkFire said a good re-tune and she'll shift crisp and quick.

My 2001 GT was an auto and I absolutely LOVED it. Then I got a tune that firmed up the shift points and I loved it even MORE.

Obviously shifting can be fun and add to the driving experience but other times I just want to mash on the fun pedal and go. I would definitely say go for it! You won't regret it!

I am now looking at 2011 V6s and am locked into a manual because I am going to buy it with the performance package but if they offered it in an auto, I'd be fine with it either way.

Actually I could have financed it, but not at a payment I was comfortable with on top of what I'm having to pay out right now because of the divorce.

I would be more concerned with it being a "First Year" model. Be sure the OEM 2 piece plugs have been replaced with 1 piece versions.

This would have been my first foray in to the 4.6 world, let alone the S197s...what's the deal/difference with the plugs? I still plan to get one once finances are back in order.