possibly starting a clothing co wanted some opinions OFF TOPIC

jmd2914

Founding Member
Sep 6, 2002
Napa, California
hello all
so long story short me and a good friend of mine are in the midst of getting a clothing company off the ground as a side project. nothing major just a lifestyle company like volcom, dc, ect. in any case i was talking to him about the copywrite process and he said that what he wants to do is have the copywrite put in his name but still very much wants my imput and help on the project. this naturally made me alittle warry because up till this point it was a group effort.....opinoins on how i should handle this? :shrug:

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

haha believe me theyre already in the works....however as far as the legal stuff goes, my thoughts were that if im putting my time money and effort into this i should own just as much of it as him. on the off chance that this actually goes somewhere i dont want to help build it and then be left out in the cold in a legal sense so to speak having him own the name. am i way off here?

Invest a little bit into a lawyer to draft you a contract. A good contract with consultation will cost you around 500-1000 and will prevent anything from going awry without consequence. It sounds to me like he is trying to squeeze you out.

Don't want to rain on your parade, but....

Another thing to remember, is, if you get a contract with him and put your money into it, then IF it goes belly-up and end up owing alot of people money for items, etc... will you also be responsible for the debts??

Will be great if it makes money, but it could also turn the other way, so please keep that in mind also. :shrug:

Like everyone has said, get legal advice and a contract if you go into this with him.

I was just going to say (but then I saw your last post) that instead of getting lawyer, get out of the situation altogether. If he is willing to pull the wool over your eyes this early in the game, then the idea of a partnership will NEVER EVER be successful. PERIOD!