Post-stripping rust prevention

Is there anything besides primer that could be put on bare metal panels to prevent rust until I can properly epoxy primer my '67?

I am hoping for some sort of chemical that could be sprayed on the bare metal to block rust, then cleaned off while prepping for paint...

Deal is, my uncle is letting me use his paint booth, but i need to have it completely stripped before I take it to his place. I don't have the equipment for spraying a proper epoxy primer. I'm hoping it will only be a couple weeks to a month between stripping and priming...

I know my bro's Model A frame was shipped soaked in WD40 to prevent rust between the supplier and my brother, would that work for me?

Thanks guys!

• Sponsors (?)

don't suggest WD 40 because it will seep in between overlapped panels and cause future problems no matter how much you try to clean it off. If you pick up an inexpensive gun you should be able to shoot a sealer coat over the bare metal. check with your local automotive paint supplier for recommendations.

I know my bro's Model A frame was shipped soaked in WD40 to prevent rust between the supplier and my brother, would that work for me?
Nothing could be be worse for causing possible future paint disasters. Due to the potential of paint contamination, the owner of the company I work for won't let WD40 in the building.

jb1dsl said:
This stuff works great for what you need it too do.
http://www.picklex.com/products.htm
Interesting. What the heck is it though? Would it have to be removed prior to paint to ensure compatibility. I gotta say, I wouldn't trust it as it's not likely to be supported or recommended by the paint manufacturer you choose.

If you're going through all the trouble of taking the car down to bare metal, do it right. First decide exactly what paint you're going to use. Then follow all their recommendations without exception. If the answer to your question isn't available in their instructions, contact the manufacturer.

All of my customers that build street rods out of pieces of sheet metal do so by spraying virgin metal pannels with WD40 so they don't rust in the years it takes to build a car. They are all well aware of it's effects on future paint, and so are the people who paint.

That said, if I had a production body shop, there's not a snowballs chance in bermuda that I'm gonna let in WD-40 or Silicone tire dressing.

I wouldn't use POR-15 on anything other than a battery tray. I hate the stuff. YMMV.

This stuff works great for what you need it too do.
http://www.picklex.com/products.htm

I've read posts on www.hotrodders.com that say it works but a guy that posts on there that manufactures paint doesn't want people to use it under his paint. It may be because if something goes wrong he doesn't want to be liable for the paint.

If you have or can get a small compressor and a paint gun I'd go ahead and epoxy it. It doesn't take much of an oufit to spray primer. I've saw people do it outdoors.

Yeah, you can get by using a small compressor for primer. I would primer it as I go that is what I did and I primed it outside. You will be sanding this primer down down anyway, so if you get some trash in it you will be fine.

Picklex 20 actually works well. It's the same principal as most metal preps; it converts the tiny rust particles on the base metal to a phosphate coating that prevents further rusting ( as long as the product is on the metal) at the same time as it gives primer and filler a good base to sit on. It wont hurt adhesion and as long as the panels are out of the weather it holds back rust.

No, I'm not a salesman. :)

Kevin Tetz

Picklex 20 actually works well. It's the same principal as most metal preps; it converts the tiny rust particles on the base metal to a phosphate coating that prevents further rusting ( as long as the product is on the metal) at the same time as it gives primer and filler a good base to sit on. It wont hurt adhesion and as long as the panels are out of the weather it holds back rust.

No, I'm not a salesman. :)

Kevin Tetz
Welcome to the Forum Kevin. It's been a while since I've watched your videos (great job :nice: BTW), what do you recommend for temporary pre-paint rust prevention for the home garage.

how are you going to strip yours? I finished stripping mine a little while back and now its at the body shop almost complete (FINALLY!!!!). Drop me a pm if you have any questions or I can send you some progress pics.