Post your vaccum numbers. Do I have a vac leak?

98BLKGT

Founding Member
Dec 23, 2001
Chicago area
How much vaccum do you get at idle?
What is your RPM at idle?

I get 10" at idle. Do I have a vac leak? I have an F cam so my vac numbers may be lower I think.
I'm asking because I have a bit of hesitation at 2000 rpm and the idle surges if the weather is below ~70 degrees.

• Sponsors (?)

do you still have the stock vacuum lines.. If so... I would suggest picking up a kit for about 24.99 from mustangs unlimited ... comes in different colors.... and gives you more than enough to do everything under the hood.. after replacing the lines see if your vacuum goes up.... if not I think there is a electric vacuum pump you can get that would definetely help.. I think I have heard of other people who get 10 so that could be ok... a bit of a pricey option but there are electric vacuum pumps... that turn on when vacuum is below 15 and turns off when it reaches 25... just a option but about a 300 dollar one.

i have 13.5 with my custom cam, which is what the cam card says it should be.

i would check to see if you can find a cam card somewhere online for the F cam to see what the vacuum #'s should be with that cam.

... a bit of a pricey option but there are electric vacuum pumps... that turn on when vacuum is below 15 and turns off when it reaches 25... just a option but about a 300 dollar one.
PLEASE provide a link to such a system...
:nice:

Idle vac depends on countless factors...
even ignition timing will have an impact...

10" at idle is kinda low, but you are running an alphabet cam, so who knows...:shrug:

I probably wasn't much help,
jason

Ok so I might redo all my vaccum lines since I don't know what the previous owner did. I need some of your guys help with this.
I don't have the smog pump hooked up, no egr hooked up, no A/C hooked up, no cruise control on the car.
Wouldn't this mean that the only vaccum lines I need is the PCV, fuel pressure regulator, and brake booster? Anything else I NEED vaccum lines running to?

how do u check for vac. numbers? i just dropped a 347 with ford racing x-cam with 1.7's. idle is supposed to be fair, but at idle sometimes the rpm tach is all over the place and wants to shut off. sometimes the rpm shoots up to 1500 then drops then back up again. i dont have a/c, smog, air canister i think thats what its called. any help would be appreciated....thanks

Vaccum/Pressure tester at summit/autozone or a little gauge
sun-cp7803_cp.jpg

sum-g3124_w.jpg