powder coated 10 holes?

gritchy5.0

Jul 17, 2010
Rock Island IL
Anybody seen some black powder coated 10 holes? ive seen some painted black but the center cap is always unpainted. if anyone has a pic of a fox with all black 10 holes i would love to see it. I have a soft spot in my heart for 10 holes but want to murder the lx out. just want to see if it will look right. thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I would suggest paint vs powder coat. Pcing temps are pretty close to the temperatures which begin to affect the metallic properties of the aluminum. The heat causes the metal to begin to anneal.

Of course, the 10-hole is a beefier wheel

yikes.jpg

Ive seen them powder coated "black rain" and thought they were bad ass, hes had them coated for 3 yrs with no issues. Ill try to get him to tack a few pics.

That's interesting to know. How do they paint wheels from the factory?

They potentially combine the powder cure schedule with the metal aging schedule so both are done at the same time.

Unless you know the alloy of aluminum, and the heat treatment, you have no idea if the wheel really will weaken. Not knowing what the factory did to the wheel adds to the problem because their coating process could use a short aging temperature period as part of the manufacturing process...and then 400 degrees in an aftermarket powder coating oven could begin to overage the aluminum and reduce it's strength.

So you could be totally fine with one aluminum wheel, and then be unsafe with another because of the processes the wheel was subjected to as well as the alloy.

Most cast wheels are 356 aluminum (forged/machined are usually 6061). If a 10-hole is already at t6 condition from factory, then at hour at 400f might create a t7 condition which is weaker. But, I do not know what alloy the 10-hole is, or what heat treatment it already has. In fact, most people don't know what allow/heat treatment their wheels are....so it's a risk some people take with no issue

ASM Handbook Volume 2, Properties and Selection: Nonferrous Alloys and Special-Purpose Materials has the following information:

356-T6: aging at 305 to 315 °F for 2 to 5 hours
Yield stress = 185 MPa
Ultimate stress = 262 MPa
Fracture strain = 0.05

356-T7: aging at 435 to 445 °F for 7 to 9 hours
Yield stress = 165 MPa
Ultimate stress = 220 MPa
Fracture strain = 0.06

There are some pro podercoaters that have the metallurgical knowledge to do aluminum wheels safely, and some that just slap stuff in an oven

I've always loved polished 10-holes. If i was still 4-lug, that's what I'd run. For a while, Mavromount was rumored to be working on 17" 10-holes, but i dunno what became of it

That's the key right there. Some shops are just hillbillies with ovens, while others actually know what the hell they're doing and use specialty equipment.

i was going to bring up the same point! a friend of mine owns his own PC business and this discussion has came up before. and the myth that PC weighs more then paint fails too lol.

They take on a police car steel rim look when you paint them black. That's not necessarily a bad thing, just depends on your taste. Personally i like them painted a bright silvery color with a machined lip.

Here's a pic of mine from WAAAY back in the day

IM002047.jpg

17" 10 holes? that would be the ultimate! Im gonna have to look into that.
Still no pics of ALL black 10 holes?

There has been nothing but 3D renderings of them so far, and that was a couple years ago, IIRC. Also, it was mentioned that, for whatever reason, they would likely come out as 18" before 17". I can't imagine why.

I'll tell you what, though, if they do come out with 17" phone dials, especially if they are deep dish, my Mach 1 wheels will go up for sale that very day, haha.