Power Door Lock Problem, Help me Figure it out!

Starscream88

Mar 8, 2003
Park Ridge NJ
Ok I have a problem with the door locks
They dont work!

Well they did, then they decided not too,
None of the switches Do anything except the Passenger side "unlock" button,
This button does work,

The "Lock" dont work on either side, But If Im ever messing around under the dash sometimes all the buttons work fine, Then as soon as I shut the drivers door they all Die again!,
Ok heres the Obvious Fixes and how Ive ruled them out

. Acutators Not working, Ruled out as I know they work
. Switches Not working in the doors, Ruled out as I used a test light and all switches work fine
. Loose connection where the wires meet in the footwell, Ruled out from taking apart and cleaning and using test light.
> No power to the switches, Ruled out because of the test light check.

So I have been through all the obvious, Checked fuses, played with the connections, But I cant fix it for good, And this has only just started, They have worked fine up until now,

So anyone got any hints???

• Sponsors (?)

the connectors for them are in the driver kick panel. if you remove the panel, they are behind it, near the top. i would check the connectors out, since you have an apparently intermittant problem (that can fix itself when tinkering under the dash).
thats all i got. good luck.

It's probably the actual buttons themselves. Unscrew the little cover and they unplug. You can get replacements off a local junkyard stang. I got mine for free from a yard. I had to replace ALL of mine when I bought my car. Works fine now. Just make sure to get the right color. I have a black interior so it was a bear to find them...but it's an easy fix if it's the problem

Well only the Passenger side "unlock" button works, But I have had a test light probe all the other buttons and it does light up every time I push one,
But the locks do nothing,

But yeah when Im tinkering under the dash sometimes Ill find they work, Then I shut the door and there off again,

I have found the connector in the Drivers Footwell, And cleaned it and made sure it was together,
Still nothing,
Where are all the connectors for this harness?

Jamie,

There is also a connector on the passenger side by the dash, two in each of the doors themselves right below the switchplates (on the earlier ones...Ford did away with these in 91 or 92), and there is a ground wire on the drivers door. Do the windows work fine? if so, you can swap out the switches and totally rule them out, but you have to cut off the locator tab on the window switch, one is round I think and the other is "L" shaped.

Otherwise, it must be the wires in the door, especially if it acts up after you close the door. Mabe one is grounding out.

You sure have had some electrical problems..... they are a pain to fix.

Good luck!

Thomas

Yeah the car has been plagued with them after a small electrical fire caused by a fuse that didnt blow,

Ive basically re-wired most of the whole car :(
Its all coming to a close now but im going to have to play around with this a bit more,

The Windows are fine,
Just the door locks,
I didnt know there was a connector on the passenger side too,
Where is it exactly? In the footwell?
Seems everything to do with the door locks have Pink wires,
Do you think I should just make another ground for them?
Cut the existing one and make a new one?

Yes I remember the fire.... I sacrificed some sweat getting you that lighter harness, remember?

The pass side connector is in the same basic area as the drivers side one that connects to the door harness. It is kind of behind the glove box in the kick panel area, where the rubber boot from the door comes into the car. If the ground is there in the drivers door and connected well, it should be OK. If the switches are all OK and the actuators are OK, then that leaves the wires and connectors. If the connectors look good, then you may have to pull the wires to check them over real good.

Thomas