power driver seat problems

BLC

Nov 14, 2005
we took the driver's seat out of my 95 mustang and found that one track is VERY hard to slide back and forth...the other track is fine...

We used Simple Green to try and dissolve whatever was making it VERY hard to move....then sprayed with WD40....when we started, steve had to hammer the track to get it to move....after a while, by constantly moving it back and forth, we got it to move with our hands, still moderately hard, though.

We let it sit overnight...went back to it, and it had gotten VERY hard to move again...steve had to tap with hammer to get it to move.

What else can we do to get that one track to "track" better? the other side is fine.

I really don't want to buy another seat....there are no seats to buy from salvage yards close to us, w/o driving at least 2 hours one way. :-(

Read a previous post about switching driver's seat to a manual one...is that cost effective?

thanks
sue

• Sponsors (?)

I don't think that WD40 is gonna hold up. You might want to try axle grease. Whenever I clean under my seats, I notice the lubrication in the tracks used from the factory is very thick and orangish in color. Also make sure there are no bends or rough areas on the track.

WD-40 is way too light for large sliding parts, and it's a solvent. You need a heavy grease like axle grease or wheel bearing grease.

If there's something gummed up on the seat track, I would consider pulling it off and cleaning it in the parts washer before regreasing it. If there's grease that is contaminated with dirt or carpet fibers, it will need to be removed before applying new grease.

you can beat and grease it all u want but the bottom line is its worn out pm me i got another bottom for it reasonable hate to sound like a stinkin commercial but im just tryin to help a fellow stanger out