Power steering and wheel slop

Discussion in 'Classic Mustang Specific Tech' started by 68converted, Dec 9, 2003.

1. 68converted

68converted Member

Never mind. I searched the wrong way. I got it covered now.

I searched the treads... no luck. I have a solid foundation, new GT front, KYB's, 620 drop coils, new upper and lower arms, and 1-1/8" sway bar. Ball joints are in great shape and no slack in the joints. I need to deal with the slop in the steering but how. I have about 3-4" of rotation either side before the PS kicks in. I know/think that it is the steering box, but what do I do about it?

There is threaded flat top screw/bolt on the top that is out about 3/4". Is this what I turn to tighten it up? I cannot find a reference out there aside from replacing, (not an option just now) and my big green book is MIA. Help
  2. slapper

slapper Founding Member

What you discribed is the sector shaft adjustment within the steering box. If it's only 3/4" out from the jamb nut, it's already been adjusted in quite a bit. This would indeed be indicative of a worn steering gearbox.
    How is the pitman arm on the power steeing control valve?
    Usually there is quite a bit of play at this connection in the factory power steering systems. The ball socket within the control valve can be adjusted to a certain degree, and most of the slop taken out if required.
  3. pabear89

pabear89 Active Member

You can try to take out the slack by running the threaded screw down one turn at a time, but it may not have much effect on it if it is worn out.
    Just a small amount will make some change and possiably get you thru till you can replace it.
    just remember to hold the screw when retighting the nut.

PB
  4. 68GEETEE

68GEETEE Member

sounds like your gearbox is the problem, but i was gonna ask about your power steering control valve. There is a ball joint on it and they do wear out. Not sure if you had already replaced the valve, so i thought i would mention it.