power steering pulley squeeking

Hey guys,

I got a high pitch squeeling noise which sounds like a fanbelt. Only been happening a couple of days and it's getting louders so i popped my head in and put my ear around the engine bay and found the squeeking sound to come from the power steering pulley. I'm guesing it's the barring or somthing???

I'm just asking is this going to hard to replace.... take off the serp belt and pull the pulley off and replacing??? easy as that.. how does that pulley come off and where can i find a pulley, i'v found it a bit difficult to find that pulley on the net and a price range.

all info would be helpful for my 1989 5.0 mustang coupe

• Sponsors (?)

If it is inside the pump, it is reman'd or new pump time. Reman'd pumps were 50 bucks each or so when I did mine.

Do make sure the fluid level is up to par first.

The pulley comes off awith a pulley remover. Or get a new one from the store/online.

Good luck.

Hey dood,

No i dont think it's the steering pump itself. It sounds more like a serp belt u know that little squeeling noise... It happens all the time now, not just when i turn the steering wheel.

but yes, i'll take a look at the fluid level aswell never thought about that one, if anyone else has information please let me know

Another possibility is that the PS pulley is not in alignment with the other pulleys (the PS shaft has some in and out play in it).

Otherwise, I would remove the belt and spin each accessory and make sure they all spin easily.

Good luck dood. :)