Prepping, Rust Conversion, Sanding, ????

Im in the process redoing my engine bay.... Well after getting the engine out, I got a better look at the bay itself. I see from where the PO did his terrible paint job, there are "rough" spots. I can only guess that is surface rust... So I sanded a small area down and sure enough, the metal was good, but surface rust was present.

2 concerns I have - --1.. I dont want "rough" or bubbly paint when Im done 2...What is the proper way of cleaning the bay when you have some areas of bare metal exposed?

Im thinking if I pressure wash my bay down, and the bare spots get exposed, Im screwed??? Or do I just need to do something first? Should I primer the bare spots before pressure washing? Then resand off?

I'm going to go through all the trouble to sand my bad down, and I want to make sure it's going to be smooth. Should I use por-15 over a sanded bay or completly strip to bare metal?

Sorry for all the Q's just want it to be right.

NOTE: I just looked at eastwood rust encapsulator - Im thinking of brushing it on not spraying... What will I need to do after? I want a smooth finish? No brush strokes, do I sand smooth then primer and paint, or sand smooth and paint?

• Sponsors (?)

I'm a big Fan of the Rust Encapsulator over POR becuase it doesn't require any prep other than remove loose rust and use prep to clean. BUT, don't brush the engine compartment if you don't want to see brush marks. Buy the quarts and spray or the cans (more expensive), and spray. You don't need a primer below this stuff. Eastwood also sells metal cleaners for the bare metal including one that will prevent flash rust for a couple of weeks.

I was also just reading up on Por-15 --- Another site, said this...

Clean engine bay with pressure washer, then lightly sand all areas of the bay, sand more in "bad rust spots" to remove old bubbled rust. Paint on Por-15 (2 coates) then lightly sand till smooth and then seal & primer - then paint.

Does that sound about right?

One last question then It's off to get the RE... ;) I only have "areas" of rust some parts are quite good. How does this stuff adhear without rust being present? If Im going to do my engine bay, I'd prefer to do the whole bay, not just sections.

theres no sense in wanting a good lookin engine bay if you are gonna halfass it by using a rust cover. Do it the right way, sand it down as far as possible then coat it. Then come back with some bondo and smooth the area.

As far as metal cleaning, just wash it down and try it well. Leave it out for a while before applying paint. Metal is porus and will hold a little bit of water so make sure you let it dry... I would recommend spraying any rust preventative or cover just so you have a nice texture (no brushmarks or brissles) I would use an epoxy primer then follow it up wiht sprayed finish. Buy a cheap harbor freight gun and do all the work with it. Just make sure you clean it well. I way recommend a HVLP over a suction style paint gun

Clean all paint and rust off and then epoxy primer it. Then you can put whatever color or gloss topcoat on that you like. I wouldn't use spray cans because they will not hold as well as automotive paints with hardeners.

Wire Brush

Use a wire brush mounted on a 4" grinder or bigger. It will smooth the rust down and give a nice clean, rust free, surface to paint. I'd primer w/ rust primer, then paint. Just did mine and it looks new.