Pressure Plate hits bellhousing

spyder2455

Nov 16, 2003
I'm trying to finish my aod to T-5 swap and now that i have the correct bellhousing, its not fitting properly and the pressure plate is scraping the bottom of it. I got the bellhousing from the junkyard and it appears to be in good condition but for some reason it isnt working. Previously, i completed this swap with a 95 bellhousing unaware of the difference in lengths between this and a fox bellhousing. Thus, my pilot bearing went to pieces and i was having serious vibration problems. I finally figured out my problem, bought a new T-5, and the right bellhousing, and now i have this ridiculous problem. Someone please help!

• Sponsors (?)

the clutch is king cobra 10.5 in.... it worked fine when i used the 95 bellhousing however with this one the pressure plate hits on the inside. Is it possible the pressure plate is on wrong? Im assuming that the bellhousing ust be the right one because it is identical to all of the ones i have seen on the web. Is it possible that it is warped in some way causing this problem?

the only way the pressure plate could be wrong is if the disc was put in backwards and is putting the clutch in a bind.you say it's only hitting at the bottom?take the bellhousing off and turn the motor over by hand and see if the clutch looks like it's not running straight or see if when you turn it,it hits at the top or another place.

the flywheel is new and i aligned the clutch using the tool and the alignment dowels in the flywheel. Something i forgot to mention is that when putting the bellhousing on, i had to use a rubber hammer and tap it with some force in order for it to line up properly with the dowels in the engine block. I dont know if this misalignment was caused be the inside of the bellhousing forcing itself against the pressure plate, or if it could be something else. One more problem is that the bottom bolt to the starter doesnt line up properly with teh starter index plate. It looks as thought the plate needs to be shifted up in order to align properly, however to solve this problem i simply drilled the hole wider in the plate. Right now i dont know what to think regarding these problems and i am thinking of grinding down the inside of the bellhousing in order to prevent the pressure plate from scraping up against it.