PRIMING OIL PUMP ??

howiefisher

Jun 8, 2007
Ont Canada
i just put in new crate motor ready to start just have to prime oil pump can i take out the fuel pump fuse and cut the spark and then crank it over to prime the system befor start up ??? or should i take the plugs out as well ??to halp it turn easy i dont have A dizzy or

• Sponsors (?)

Correct...you dizzy has a shaft that goes from it to the pump to drive it...You can take an extension and use like a 1/4" allen and turn the pump....Chuck that bad boy up and it'll prime just fine...
makes sure you use reverse....forward wont work...

it has to turn counter clock ways right reverse ??i still dont get it if i am cranking the engine over with no fuel or spark just cranking it the distributer would be turning right which would be turning the oil pump no ?

yeah i know its a brand new crate motor theey say in the instuctions it has to be primed /also when i put the distributer in i should put the HB at 0 degress and the rotor in the dis housing pointing at #1 sparl plug term then start and set timing ?right sholu i start at 10 to break in or right to 14 i only run primium fuel

I thought you didnt have a dizzy....thats why I mentioned priming that way..if you do it with the dizzy out...then you need not do anything other than the prime as mentioned above..stab the dizzy in and you good to fire things off.

I would take a VC off and verify both valves are closed on #1...

then verify the HB is at 0...if so

set the dizzy in....making sure the rotor is under # 1 on the cap when its seated in...

once running the pull the spout and set it to 10...drive it a tad and go up from there..

Just in case it wasn't explicit, you need to get oil throughout the engine before you ever hit the starter. Not only does this get the oil circulated before the engine starts rotating but it ensures you can build pressure. Otherwise it takes a few seconds with an empty filter and a dry motor to even register pressure. What happens if there's an issue and the pump cavitates or something? You'll have run that beautiful new motor with no oil pressure for 5-10 seconds.

It takes a few mins to prime it with a priming tool so I'd do it.

Good luck.