Priming The Oil Pump

• Sponsors (?)

Can the stock shaft take it? I'm kind of afraid I broke my shaft.

did you break or are you afraid of breaking it? if you are afraid of breaking it, then consider this, your engine is capable of turning 6000rpm, and pushing more oil than the electric drill you will use to prime the engine, the electric drill produces about 1/2hp where as you engine will make, depending on the combination, 200-350hp. no do you really think your little drill is going to break the pump shaft when you engine doesnt? i do have one bit of advice for you though, get an upgraded oil pump shaft and put it in your engine. ford motorsport used to sell one that is perfect for those that have issues with a 1/4" shaft running the oil pump.

here is the one i recommend;

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/arp-154-7904/overview/

I was priming it and I went from feeling resistance fighting the drill, to a sudden almost free spin. I may have pulled the drill trigger to hard and it spins real fast once you get higher in rpms on the drill? I'm not sure? I have oil pressure, but I haven't put a real gauge on it to actually see my psi.

I doubt you broke or even twisted your shaft with a drill..you would likely burn up your drill if there was a real issue. most likely your oil pump was dried out and took some force to break loose if it had been sitting. WEre your spark plugs removed?

Can the stock shaft take it? I'm kind of afraid I broke my shaft.

If you replaced the oil pump and used the stock shaft, es no bueno Senor. Always upgrade to a hardened one, like ARP. What makes you think you broke the shaft? Like others said, your drill hardly has enough torque or rpm to do any damage.

Put the distributor back in and rotate the engine. See if the rotor moves.

Stock pump & shaft 120K.. I'm probably tripping.. Car sat for 2 years and when I primed it, with a crappy drill, it went from no resistance to I feel it building resistance and my drill struggling, and if I got tired and accidentally pushed down too hard on the drill trigger it would spin up real fast with no resistance. I just checked, my drill claims it does 2250, but not beyond the cam rpm on a normal day. Could be how it supposed to work? I worry about my oil pump, and I've read a lot of bad things about the stock 2 piece shaft.