Pro Aubrun or NOT?

1200gt

Nov 29, 1999
I have a Pro Auburn that I was going to use on my other off raod strip car - that im no longer building. Should put it in my street 8.8, or not bother the hastle? Has 31 spline... BTW, I'm sure that i'll be going into the rear anyway, for gears.

• Sponsors (?)

i agree with rick on most things but not this one... going to 31 spline axles is a good thing just not with an auburn. id go with a track loc before an auburn. the allburnt doesnt use a clutch pack but has cones on the backs of the gears, once they wear out they are done...

i agree with rick on most things but not this one... going to 31 spline axles is a good thing just not with an auburn. id go with a track loc before an auburn. the allburnt doesnt use a clutch pack but has cones on the backs of the gears, once they wear out they are done...

Out of town, sorry for delay...
What kind of conditions could I expect from the worn cones in the auburn? Within general street use peramiters, what's the service life on the auburn IYO? Are they used in street OEM applications I wonder?

I would more than likely not opt to buy an Track Loc. I am concidering the Auburn because I already have it. Going to be buying axles soon for my disc brake conversion project, so I would like to plan this out before purchasing more stuff.

If your going into the rear I see no reason to not use it, still a quality piece that is stronger the then original

Rick, thanks for the input. I certainly will be inside the rearend, and as I mentioned, I do have the Pro Auburn already. Same question to you as above about street usage for the auburn as well as service life...

Thanks friend,

Dwayne

not sure how many miles mine had on it since it was in the car when i got it. but i know since i had the car it only had about 3000 miles on it and about 6 track passes on it. once the cones wear out they just slip like a tracklock does and you get the 1 tire fire...

not sure how many miles mine had on it since it was in the car when i got it. but i know since i had the car it only had about 3000 miles on it and about 6 track passes on it. once the cones wear out they just slip like a tracklock does and you get the 1 tire fire...

Well that is at least comforting to know that he one tire fire in the only issue to be concerned about. I think i'll still install mine. Surely I won't rag on it too badly anyway:crap:

If it is like the cones in my 1965 A body GM, it is a nice, smooth piece with a long service life. I hear you can turn (or mark and grind off) the ends of cones off and keep using them if you do too many dumb burn outs. Dumb equals extended one wheel on ice and one on clean pavement burnouts.
The same stuff that will smoke clutches too. That said, I will buy clutch type from Ford because the all gear type I want is cost prohibitive.

If it is like the cones in my 1965 A body GM, it is a nice, smooth piece with a long service life. I hear you can turn (or mark and grind off) the ends of cones off and keep using them if you do too many dumb burn outs. Dumb equals extended one wheel on ice and one on clean pavement burnouts.
The same stuff that will smoke clutches too. That said, I will buy clutch type from Ford because the all gear type I want is cost prohibitive.
difference in the traclock when it burns up the clutches you can buy new ones and be back good as new.

as for the gear type? you talking about the T2R diff? i think the one i had for sale just sold... ill have to check with bob. think he ended up letting it go for about 450

difference in the traclock when it burns up the clutches you can buy new ones and be back good as new.

as for the gear type? you talking about the T2R diff? i think the one i had for sale just sold... ill have to check with bob. think he ended up letting it go for about 450[/quote

I was thinking about wanting a helical gear differential like the Eaton Truetrac. No wearable parts sounds like a good deal for heavy use.