Probably the craziest car question EVER asked

Synned

took tubgirl on a date and got banned
Mar 31, 2005
Philly
Hey guys
Here it is:
Is it possible/easy to ADD miles to my odometer? :eek: :eek: :eek:

I need to do this because its about time for inspection and my odometer stopped turning...so I want to add the (approximate) number of miles back on.

Is it as easy as popping the cluster out and spinning the gear? Or can I take the numbers off and re-align them?

• Sponsors (?)

um.........no, not really. If you take the numbers off and mess with them they will never line up again the way they are supposed to. Most people probably wouldn't notice but someone that knows this will.

These clusters are electric so you can't just pop it out and spin the speedo with a drill. You might be able to jack the car up. Pull the speed sensor out and spin that.

um.........no, not really. If you take the numbers off and mess with them they will never line up again the way they are supposed to. Most people probably wouldn't notice but someone that knows this will.

These clusters are electric so you can't just pop it out and spin the speedo with a drill. You might be able to jack the car up. Pull the speed sensor out and spin that.

Hmm....I can't do that yet because I don't have the gear that I need. I wonder if theres any other way.

Hmm....I can't do that yet because I don't have the gear that I need. I wonder if theres any other way.

Well you wouldn't use the gear. You'd probably have to take the gear off. I guess you could attach a drill to the alignment nub on the end of the gear and spin that. The gear you have or want to use shouldn't have any effect on what you're trying to do.

Hey guys
Here it is:

I need to do this because its about time for inspection and my odometer stopped turning...so I want to add the (approximate) number of miles back on...

Do they keep track of your mileage between inspections?

Do you have the gear thing in the transmission?

Just curious

The gear only determines how fast or slow the cable spins. I think they are saying you just spin the inside of the cable after removing the gear. So if the gear is not there, that's even easier. Just detach it from the transmission and hook a drill up to it. I'm not sure which direction you would have to go, but if you start slowly and have someone watch the guages, you surely can figure it out.

Yeah, the gear in the back of the odo is still there im just guessing it's missing teeth...speed sensor in trans is still functional.
So just unhook the cluster, and spin the thing inside the cable?

Don't remove the cluster/speedo/odometer!

There is no cable to hook anything to. There is no cable that runs from the trans to the speedo/cluster/odometer.

You need to spin the speed sensor AT the transmission. The speed sensor sends a signal to the speedometer to let it know how fast you're going. If pull the speed sensor, just like you would to change the nylon gear, you should be able to spin that. Since it's electronic and not mechanical you'll have to make sure your key is on when you try it.

why not tell them your car broke and you've been using someone elses car or something. they cant prove that you were driving your car and that a certain amount of miles should be on it.??

Hey guys
Here it is:

I need to do this because its about time for inspection and my odometer stopped turning...so I want to add the (approximate) number of miles back on.

Is it as easy as popping the cluster out and spinning the gear? Or can I take the numbers off and re-align them?

I didnt read any of the responses, but you can take of the glass part of the cluster and move each number by hand with a needle or thin screwdriver. I know cuz I did it.....you'll figure it out but you'll have to move certain numbers first cuz some numbers will move when you move one....I cant explain it but you'll figure it out

All you gotta do is get a new speed sensor in it and tell them that your old one broke. Or after you get a new one, put the car on stands and run it in gear for a while to get the mileage up. That is if the speed sensor is the problem. You might have something else wrong if you've already done that.

My speed sensor is fine because my speedo works fine, I think its the small gear that turns the odometer in the gauge cluster or trip counter that is my problem. The trip counter doesn't spin, and neither does the mileage. I don't want to have any problems with my carfax.

Thanks Guero...I might try that...

I understand your concern but to me it still seems like its a lot of work for something thats pretty trivial. My 3rd Mustang sat for a year and a half on blocks so when I finally got it retested there was only the 4 mile difference from my house to the station. People understand that Mustangs are prone to extended periods of sitting, especially a modified one. However if youre hell bent on actually doing it, the mehods described here should work if you want to go through with it. Though technically I still think this would count as odometer fraud since you have no idea on how many miles youre actually travelling so either way youd be putting on whatever numbers you feel like.

I'm just concerned, because how does it show up on carfax? How does carfax get that information? I would assume it was each year when the car goes for emissions/inspection...but maybe not?