Problem w/Edelbrock carb etc.

crushnut

Apr 27, 2003
Oregon
I am having a problem with my new Edelbrock carb. The problem is it will not idle by itself, i have to keep my foot on the gas pedal to even make the engine run, the second my foot moves or comes off the pedal the engine dies. I managed to do my cam break-in this way, but i really need to figure out what is wrong and fix it, so it will idle on its own and so i can start driving my car again.

Anybody know what is wrong :shrug:

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

No, I havent touched any of the adjustment screws yet, they are as is when taken out of the box. Supposedly it is ready to run right out of the box. They are tuned my Edelbrock before thay are shipped out, it may not be tuned exactly to the engine, but it should be close enough for it to run on its own, not needing me to manually give it gas with my foot on the pedal to even run.

Any more ideas?

crushnut said:
No, I havent touched any of the adjustment screws yet, they are as is when taken out of the box. Supposedly it is ready to run right out of the box. They are tuned my Edelbrock before thay are shipped out, it may not be tuned exactly to the engine, but it should be close enough for it to run on its own, not needing me to manually give it gas with my foot on the pedal to even run.

Any more ideas?

I'd adjust the idle on the carb. Mine was off (I have a manual choke 600 CFM Performer carb) because the linkage was off. It is worth a try. First though, follow the procedure for initially setting idle mixture. These should be close, but your idle adjustment sounds suspect.

start by making sure you dont have a vacuum leak. make sure all the vacuum ports on the carb are either used or plugged. the idle mixture screws should be set 1 1/2 turns off the seat for an initial adjustment, and the idle speed screw should be set so the throttle plate is slightly cracked open. also make sure your ignition timing is set properly, i like it set at 10 degree btdc for the initial timing.

Speed up the idle untill you get it to run by itself. It will do it because you can do it with your foot on the gas pedal. Then, after it is warmed up, adjust it to 700 rpms in park or neutral. Then check the idle jets for proper adjustment and mix.