Problem with Autometer temp gauge reading too high... Fix inside...

Stang8URMPRT

Dec 28, 2003
Daytona Beach, FL
Well, I've been having some wierdo problems with my Autometer gauge reading too high. After some time, and contacting Autometer, they informed my the only reason the gauge will read higher then it actually is, would be a bad ground. I've been on workers comp for a while now, so I didn't want to risk going outside and working on the car and being seen or caught. Soooo now that I'm off of it, and gone from that s h i t t y ass job, and now have all my tools at home (which is awesome), I decided to go out and check all the grounds... Busted out the trusty multimeter, and checked ground from the neg battery terminal to body grounds, radiator, and ground strap on the firewall. Came up with anywhere from 14 to 17 ohms. Sounds way too much to me. So then I checked ground from the body ground wire off the battery, to the end of that wire next to the coil. .3 ohms. Sounds more in tolerance to me. So I pulled the neg battery terminal off, cleaned off the neg battery post with a wire brush, and the new pimp daddy gold plated neg battery termnial lol. Put it back on, and tested... Guess what? .3 ohms all the way across. As easy as that. Haven't tested the gauge out yet, but going from 15 ohms cold, to .3 ohms sounds like a ground problem, and now that's fixed. Glad to get that problem fixed. So many little things wrong with this car. Going from garage queen for 6 years, to daily driven. One less thing to worry about now. :nice:

Nick

• Sponsors (?)

No problem man. Yeah, mine was really weird... It would read like 205... then I'd turn the car off, and RIGHT back on... and it would read 185 LOL... 20 degrees of heat disapation in 5 seconds is AWESOME. haha! So I'll be testin' it out tonight or something when I get bored... Also will be good later this week to test the whole cooling system.. Gunna be 90 degrees here. :(

yeah, i have even tinkered around with grounding the sender body itself, in case teflon tape and thread sealer was creating too much resistance.

nice work.

I believe it fixed the problem. Took it out this morning, and it stayed right around 180-185, and no more. But it's only like 70 now... I will check later today when it's closer to 80 degrees. Also, when the fan comes on now, it's reading a higher voltage, and doesn't drop as much, which is always a good thing. :nice: