problems starting new motor

ok still got probs

i found what i believe to be everyloose vacuum hose and just plugged them. Uhhh........ its still runnin off of i believe two cylinders (3&4) i got it runnin and just went through the wires one by one and pulled them off to see if the motor ran any different. When i unhooked 1 it ran the same and when i unhooked 2 it ran the same but when i unhooked 3 or 4 it would cut off. it ran the same with 1&2 off. So i thought to switch one and two on the cap. The first time i left the motor runnin and i got the 'Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me' shocked out of me :mad: :notnice: . Then i cut the motor off and switched them and then the motor wouldnt start at all until i switched them back. I believe I have all the vacuum houses capped and i think everything hooked up i have checked and checked again and i dont think i missed nuthin.? i feel kinda :bang: & :owned: but hopefully i will figure it out. Oh yea its makin boost when i give it gas in neutral? i know thats not right so any ideas on that would be nice. thanks for the help

robbie

• Sponsors (?)

im pissed!!

i changed my disrtibutor and everything is right, i guess? everything looks exactly the same as it did when i took it off. the rotor button is in the same spot. now it wont even start? man im bout to give up. oh yea i got a timing gun but i need to get it halfway runnin again. How do u use the thing? It has a neg and pos cable that hooks to the battery and then this other clip thaqts like plastic with metal on the end of the clampin points? it looks like it would clamp around a plug wire. thanks

robbo1987*2.3* said:
i changed my disrtibutor and everything is right, i guess? everything looks exactly the same as it did when i took it off. the rotor button is in the same spot. now it wont even start? man im bout to give up. oh yea i got a timing gun but i need to get it halfway runnin again. How do u use the thing? It has a neg and pos cable that hooks to the battery and then this other clip thaqts like plastic with metal on the end of the clampin points? it looks like it would clamp around a plug wire. thanks

Well, the boost in neutral now is probably because it's pig rich with only two holes firing. Timing is probably ok.

Timing light hooks to the battery and then the other clip goes around plug wire #1. Then you make sure it's blinking out the end (may be a button you have to push to get it blinking) and point it at the crank pulley. You should be able to see the TDC mark on the pulley "light up". Make sure there is some paint or chalk in the TDC notch so it will light up.

Stinger

ok

used the timing light and got the timing to what i believe is on. everything lines up perfectly but the motor will only run for a couple of secs then die. keep in mind that i had it runnin a day or so ago of of what i believe was two cylinders (3&4) to where i could go out ,turn the key and it would start on the first try. h*ll i even drove the thing two blocks runnin rough as h*ll. The only thing i did was pull the whole distributor off my old motor and installed it on the turbo motor becasue the turbo one was broken around where the plug goes in(no plastic on one side of the plug holder thingy) but everything lins up and it will only sputter. Is there anything i could have screwed up when swappin the computers or anything major that i forgot to do? im lost. i just bought new plugs and wires and they were on there when it was runnin before. but the wires have to go back cause they broke( lil metal peice came out of the end when my lil bro pulled the wire off the plug) but they would still make enough spark. maybe its not gettin any gas? just throw out some ideas if yall dont mind. thanks

Use a test light to see if the injectors are pulsing when you crank it over...pull the plugs out one at a time and check to verify that the plug is firing (ground the plug, crank it over, look for spark).

Stinger

hey stinger

what type o0f light are u talkin bout to test the injectors? im thinkin that it just needs a good tune up(plugs, wires, rotor button, cap, etc...) cause today i tried to crank it and it did the same thing so i pulled the cap and it looked worn out so i puit the other one back on and it started and would almost die then run off a couple of cylinders for a sec, almost die again and it just kept doin that. im gonna get a compression guage thingy lol and check the compression( i never did because the guy i bought it from said that it ran like a charm when he pulled it and that if it didnt run when i swapped it that he would give me my money back and i made him sign a contract thing stating that he said that and yada yada yada) maybe it has a blown head gasket or a massive hole in the pistons or sumthin like that i dunno. Do u think the computer might be bad(its an 88 auto turbo computer)? i dunno just throwin up ideas again thanks for all yalls help and patience

I'm talking about a 12v test light.

A tune up would be a good idea...I assumed you had done this before you ever posted.

The computer could be bad...testing the injectors with the test light will shed some light on that though.

Stinger

ok

i couldnt find the tester ill have to wait for my pops to get home to tell me where it is. BUT..... i got to messin with it and i said screw it and moved the cap alot towrds the block and it started up and wasnt runnin half bad, just had a slight miss in it. Then while it was runnin i put the timin light on it and the mark on the pulley was hittin at the a lil before the top mark on the cover(closest to the water pump) and the cam pulley was hittin ALOT before the mark but it was runnin almost drivable and wasnt makin boost in neutral this time! so whats up!? i dunno someone insruct me on what to do now cause it seems like im actually very close by the ways its runnin