Probs with Mini Starter

I put in a high torque mini starter about 3 weeks ago, and at first it was working fine. After about 2 weeks, and ever since, when I turn the ignition the engine just keeps turning over, and it takes like 10-15 seconds to start sometime. Usually it takes more than one try also.

The weird part is if I just turn the key for a second or two and then let go, it will start up when I let go of the key. But when it starts, i hear a clunking noise under the car, around the starter area. What could this be? Is the starter not working properly or is it something in the wiring?

• Sponsors (?)

check to see if the starter is bolted up still. i had the same kind of problem/noise for a while and i finally noticed what it was when i was driving down the highway and i heard a loud clunk. the starter had fallen off and was sitting on the k member. it was always make a clunk noise for about a week or two before it came off

The mini starter has to be wired a little differently than a standard ford starter. The large wire is hot all the time and the small wire is the solenoid start wire that should only be hot while cranking.

If you hook both of those wires together, the starter will keep running even after you release the start circuit.

As far as the thump goes, it may be a mechanical connection as mentioned.

Did you measure the teeth mesh (bendix to ring gear)? Some minis need shims, otherwise they can hang up.

Hllon is right on. I would run the trigger wire right to the new starter (bypassing the oem solenoid connection). Otherwise, one can run into relay delay issues, etc. (I did not even see how you wired it, but I agree with Hllon that it was worth mentioning just in case).

Good luck.