ProCharger D-1SC - What do I need?

Tripoli

Mar 30, 2005
Dallas, TX
I'm looking for some advice as to what all I need to buy to procharge my 2002 Mustang GT. First off, here's my current major mods:

- Fox Lake 2V stage 2 heads (03-04 with deeper spark plug threads)
- VT Stage 2 N/A cams
- Comp Cams high-load valve springs
- Hooker long tube headers
- Steeda underdrive pulleys
- Accufab upper intake plenum and 75mm throttle body

The MAF, fuel system, and shortblock are stock. I have a custom dyno tune.

I currently have 308 RWHP and 323 RWTQ.

Here is my long-term plan:

Supercharge the car as it is now, without building the shortblock. My target will be 450 RWHP. In about 2 years, I plan on building a new shortblock, probably a 4.6 bored and stroked to 5.0. I'll up the boost to somewhere in the 15-18 psi range on 93 octane fuel. My target then will be 600-650 RWHP.

I was thinking of getting the Stage II tuner kit with the 3-core sheetmetal intercooler. I have no idea what the ProCharger kits come with, but I'm told they come with everything I need except spark plugs. For those, I was thinking of NGK TR-6s. I installed Vacuum/Boost, Fuel Pressure, and Water Temp gauges a couple weeks ago. Is there really nothing else I will need?

1. Does the kit come with sufficient fuel system upgrades to support 450 RWHP?
2. What about the MAF?
3. Does the kit come with 6-rib or 8-rib pulleys?
4. What should I do about my 3-piece underdrive pulley set?
5. Should I do a full 8-rib conversion now, or wait until I build the shortblock and up the boost?
6. How much boost should I put into it to go from 308 to 450 RWHP?
7. How much boost should the supplied blower pulley put out at 6,000-6,500 engine RPM?
8. Does the kit include a serpentine belt? Will it be the right size for my needs?
9. Is there anything about the install that will require modifying something in/around the engine bay, such as cutting or welding, or is this just all bolt-in?
10. Does anyone have a copy of the installation instructions you could send me?
11. Am I missing anything else?

I intend to call ProCharger this week to discuss some of this with them, but any and all advice y'all can provide is welcome and appreciated. :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Okay, I spoke to someone at ProCharger yesterday, and also to a few local performance shops' tuners, so to answer my own questions from above...

1. The tuner kits do not come with any fuel system upgrades.
2. No MAF is included.
3. It comes with the 6-rib pulley on the blower.
4. Remove the underdrive pulleys and go back to stock.
5. Wait. An 8-rib conversion will run around $1,400 and I don't need it to make the 450 RWHP I'm shooting for at this point.
6. 7-8 psi, but my cams will probably bleed a little bit off due to their overlap.
7. When you order, you get to choose your pulley size.
8. Yes, and yes.
9. No, as long as I don't get the 3-core sheet metal race intercooler. The Stage II intercooler is still 3-core, but is slightly smaller. It should still be able to handle my long-term goal of 600-650 RWHP.
10. Still trying to get this. ProCharger said they would e-mail it to me, but it hasn't come yet.

So, this opens up a new debate: What to do about fuel system upgrades.

First, the injectors. That's an easy one. 60lb injectors will fulfill my needs both now and when I build the shortblock. There is no need for a bigger fuel line or fuel rails.

The fuel pumps and their setup are the big issue, and I can't decide which way to go. The pump setup needs to be adequate for, say, 500 RWHP, but if I can go ahead and build something worthy of 650+ now for a reasonable cost, let's do it. Here are some options I came up with after talking to the tuners yesterday:

1. Focus ZX3/SVT or Ford GT fuel pump. $170
  2. Focus ZX3/SVT or Ford GT fuel pump with Boost-a-Pump. $445
  3. Dual Focus ZX3/SVT or Ford GT fuel pumps, jury-rigged into the stock canister. $350
  4. Dual Ford GT fuel pumps, mounted in Fore Precision Works triple pump fuel hat (which can also hold just 2 pumps). $720
  5. Dual Focus ZX3/SVT or Ford GT fuel pumps with Boost-a-Pump. $650
  6. Full aftermarket system from Aeromotive (good for 1100 RWHP). $2,100

I am inclined to go with option #4. Any thoughts?

With your future intentions an aftermarket, return style fuel system would be best becasue I know how 600hp turns into 800hp:D. However for now you could put a 255lph intank pump in your car and feed it just fine, just have to modify the plastic container that houses the stock pump. The ATI instructions will talk you through it ;)

If you buy the reg kit it comes with a chip, inj and the 255lph Walbro pump, the tuner kits basically delete all those items. I like the sheetmetal upgrade, very nice intercooler!

Since you need some type of tune with the larger inj I would upgrade to a SCT Big Mouth MAF, have a SCT chip or tuner for the car. Any MAF meter other then the stock unit will take a different silcone connector and a little modification, nothing major. I find it is easy to peg the stock MAF, and instead of adding a Diablo MAFia to trick it, I upgrade the meter...

If you have a hard time getting the instructions let me know, they do not like to email them unless you have a serial number to prove you have a unit....at least that is the way it was. I have the instructions at the shop and can send you a copy, they are spiral bound from ATI.

:nice: You'll be very happy with the D1SC

Yeah, I was thinking I'd get the SCT BA3000 for the MAF. I tune with the SCT Xcal 2, so that seemed like a logical choice.

Another option for a fuel pump I'm considering: Single Ford GT fuel pump. I've heard a lot of talk about how they can hold over 500 RWHP all by themselves (no boost-a-pump). Any thoughts on that?

Yeah, I was thinking I'd get the SCT BA3000 for the MAF. I tune with the SCT Xcal 2, so that seemed like a logical choice.

Another option for a fuel pump I'm considering: Single Ford GT fuel pump. I've heard a lot of talk about how they can hold over 500 RWHP all by themselves (no boost-a-pump). Any thoughts on that?

yes the GT fuel pump should be able to handle over 500rwhp by itself. I am running twins in my car right now and have plenty of fuel. My brother made 507rwhp on a GT fuel pump but thats also on an 07 GT so I dunno if there will be a difference. He was running a P1sc

I made 467RWHP with the single 255lph pump mod that came with a ATI kit back in 03, I was the recieptant of the first 03 GT kit they sent out...

I think the single GT pump would work just fine...