Procomp Heads

• Sponsors (?)

If you are building the Bare heads, I'm not sure I see any "gamble".

An argument can be made that buying someone's used heads for $1,000 is just as big or if not bigger gamble.

What if their damaged, what if I never get them? What if their the specs?

Here's the problem with that. Procomp heads in the past have shown shifted and incomplete castings, misaligned and uneven ports, miss-spaced valve placement, loads of casting flash, among other issues that cannot be corrected (or at least not easily or inexpensively) with just a simple valve train upgrade. I've also read about cracking and leakage issues also stemming from shoddy castings.

These known Procomp issues are non issues for the heads I noted above earlier. Also, worn out, or damaged valve train components found in used heads can be replaced. Cracked or damaged heads should not be purchase, or at the very least their repair cost be factored into the price. If the buyer doesn't do his/her homework before buying a set of used heads, then they've got nobody to blame but themselves. Yes, it's buyer beware game when you buy used heads, but it seems the same issues (and more) are known to present in BRAND NEW Procomp castings.

How much warranty do you think you're going to get on a set of bare Procomp heads after you've performed all the required machine work and installed your own valve train into them, only to have them leak, or crack after its first few heat cycles due to imperfect casting issues? Your warranty on their heads is void the moment you drop them off at the machine shop. The machine shop may warranty any defects caused by the installation of their valve train, or any machine work they've done....but they ain't coming good for piss poor manufacturing issues with regards to the heads themselves.

Like I said....gamble away with your money if you wish, but I won't be the guinea pig.

I have used the 190 and 210cc heads on two different engines. The 302 made 400hp with a parker funnel Web and a dominator carb. The 327 makes ??? With the 210cc same intake and carb. Car runs high 6s in the 1/8 mile without spray. We buy the heads from KMJ performance, they clean up the castings and install NEW valves and springs. 700$
we did not touch the heads at all pulled em out of the box and slapped them on the car both engines had high lift cams .6xx and are spun to 7200 rpm every weekend at Lakeland dragstrip.

Here's the problem with that. Procomp heads in the past have shown shifted and incomplete castings, misaligned and uneven ports, miss-spaced valve placement, loads of casting flash, among other issues that cannot be corrected (or at least not easily or inexpensively) with just a simple valve train upgrade. I've also read about cracking and leakage issues also stemming from shoddy castings.

While your points are spot on, if a buyer receives a bad set from the get go you can just return them.

ProComp/Speedmaster them selves maybe a pain to deal with, but Jegs or Summit will take them back no questions asked.