Project 89GT rebuild

stress_man1

Feb 28, 2006
Well first off I have a 89gt with automatic, that my wife has wrecked a few years back.The front bumper cover and headlights need replaced, and wont stay running from sitting so long, here is what I have done so far. Removed the fuel tank and cleaned and replaced fuel pump (190gph) and sending unit and filters. It had sat long enough it messed the gas up. I am going to replace fuel injectors and order a new nose and hood. I was just wanting some suggestions on what everyone thinks I should do, like what injectors an other stuff i should get. budget is around 1000-1500bucks. What about adding 3.73 gears or 3.55, its not my daily driver and I may take it to the drag strip.
HPIM1262.jpg
[/IMG]
HPIM1257.jpg
[/IMG]

• Sponsors (?)

If you are not going to modify the engine much stock 19# injectors will be fine. Yours maybe fine that are in the car. Run some seafoam through with a tank of gas and see if they clean out.

Look on craigs list for a hood and other parts before you shell out cash on new parts.

Will it make a difference if I use 19 or 24 lb injectors, I may add a thumpr cam to it later and if so should I get the larger injectors. just not used to the fuel injection and computer controlled motors yet, any advise is appreciated.

I agree. 19"s are good for now. You can pick another set up dirt cheap easily.

I'd suggest 3.73's for a non-DD car. But i'd concentrate on getting it running great first before tossing mods at it. Get it running, run the codes and see what else it needs. Chances are there are other sensors and such that need to be replaced as well as regular tune up items

Put fresh gas in it and try to get the crap gas out of it. Then change the fuel filter and try to crank it, and if it doesn't you might need to change the spark plugs. It should run then. Let it get warm and change the oil. You might want to change the oil before too. When oil sits it tends to turn to sludge especially if the oil in it is somewhat dirty so you might want to do an engine flush out with either seafoam or my favorite which is marvel mystery oil. Just don't drive it with that stuff in there.

I have already cleaned the tank, put in fresh gas and new fuel pump and fuel filter in the rear. It starts and runs but it starts to load up like a carb engine with the choke on. If i rev it up some it trys to clean out, but most of the time it will just load up and die. Turn the key an it will start right back up an idle fine, only when i rev it up, I think the injectors are some what plugged up and the computer is trying to add gas and thats where it creates the problem. It was running fine before we parked it, but the bad gas has affected it.

Suck seafoam through the pcv per the instructions on the can, but have a new set of plugs ready too. If you don't understand the instructions, here is the short version. pull the hose off the pcv and bend it back around towards you on the driver's side. I usually stick a straw (McD's or whatever) into the hose and use that as an extension into the can. Find someone to help you by holding the rpm's up around the 2k mark. Stick the straw into the can slowly and it will suck fast so pay attention. After you have about 1/3 of the can sucked through which will prolly only take about 1-2 seconds, have your helper let off the throttle and it should die immediately. If you have a smoking habit, now is the time to have one. Let it sit for about 5 minutes and then restart it. You will prolly have to full throttle the pedal to stop the flow of fuel because it will still be flooded. OH YEAH>>> Nasty fumes, will fog the neighborhood. Baby it to get it to stay running until it idles on it's own. Let it idle for approximately 10 minutes before taking it out for a test drive. This is where you will find out where your plugs stand. Drive it until the white plume of smoke stops exiting the tail pipe. One time I over did it on a truck with bad plugs and it foulded out before I could get the drive in. Then when you get back the the house, change the plugs, and whatever else you think to be necessary (wires, cap and rotor, clead the TB blade, etc.) and it should run perfect for you. SEAFOAM IS MAGIC and I swear by this method!