Project ideas. New to the classics!!!!

Scott_95GT

Oct 8, 2004
Sacramento
I am a stangnet veteran, but a classic-stang newbie. I've owned two 95 GT's (including the one I have now) but I have little experience with the classics.

I want to start a project. Like everyone else, I would love to find that bone-stock, rust-free fastback sitting in the garage of an old lady, but I know thats not going to happen. So I'm thinking about looking into 65-66 coupes. I was thinking of a 4-speed/ mild 351 combo. I want something that runs easily on 91 octane, has plenty of torque, and has a nice mid-range powerband. I like the shelby hood, but I don't want to shelby-ize the whole car. Disks in front, 16' wheels all around with slightly more meat in the back. Possible roll bar, slightly lowered, updated suspension, ect, ect.

These are my thoughts, but I am looking for input. ANY input. I don't know where to start with this thing. And FYI, I DON'T CARE if it's not the fastest car on the street. High 13's are more than fine. I want it to hold it's own on the street, but nothing crazy. Thanks guys. I look forward to hearing your responses.

:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like you're already on your way. There is a ton of info on the 351W swap into these cars. I've read about all of it. I was thinking of doing this before I rebuilt the 289. I would read all of it and know what you're wanting to do to the rest of the car. There are a few clearance issues. They can be resolved, but there are a few. Know what else you want to do...brakes (man or pwr), susp, hp/torq, and go from there. Talk to someone who has done it. I know a 289/302 will provide plenty of streetability even on a budget. Good luck on your search/project. By re-reading your posts, you can accomplish more than you're looking for with a 289 or 302 and not have to worry about issues. My $0.02. Find a nice coupe with a good undercarriage. Check floorpans. If you can find an original v8 car for a good price, get it. I6 is fine but you will want to change some stuff. I know. BTW, fastbacks are awesome............but the people with 'em know it. Prices are gettin' crazy. I'm looking now for a fb project now and am astonished.
Good luck and have fun. The guys here are great.

A coupe is a fine way to go, besides the fastback your looking for belongs to my parents/me. All original/rust free(for the most part)....but I have first dibs.

I personally like the coupes better myself(always have) fastbacks are overrated for no reason I can see...but now I prefer 65-66 coupes over everything else...mainly due to the low weight and classic styling, anyway the main thing you should be looking for is a rust free(or close to rust free) base to start from

First off, don't think finding that little old lady owned, rust-free fastback is a pipe dream. I bought my '68 fastback from a 93 year old lady in '01. She lived in a retirement home then, but until she moved there the car had been garaged it's whole life and yes, she bought it new. So don't give up, they are still out there. Second, I think you have a good solid plan for a project, but before you begin, be honest about how much time, effort and money you are really willing to devote to the build. When I started my project on Nov '02, I thought it would take about 6 months and a couple thousand bucks. Now here I am 4 years later, and about $9,000 poorer and the car's just now getting finished. If I had known that, I would've either bought a finished car or just driven what I had a little longer until I saved more money. Also, but as nice a car to start with as you can possible afford. When I started my interior, I was thrilled to see the primered sheetmetal under the headliner and behind the plastic side panels looked as nice as they did in '68. A freind of mine has a '67 coupe that is rusting away from the inside out. The car has rust in the rain gutters (very difficult to fix), rust in the quarters, roof and engine bay as well. If it were my car, I'd take off the good parts and throw the body away, it's honestly that bad. I paid twice as much for my car as he did for his ($7,200 vs $3,500) yet the difference is that I got a rust-free, one-owner fastback and he got an ex-high schooler-owned headache coupe. The extra three grand you spend now will pay off big time later. Good luck!

Prices??? Had a close one the other day......

Thank you for all the great responses.

I got all excited the other day. I was driving down a road I drive down almost everyday. Except this time there was a 66' Fastback sitting outside of a guys house. There was always a car under a cover in his driveway, and it turns out the fastback was under it all along. I was so excited. From just driving by, it looked like a find. Needed work, but clean enough to work with. About a 1/2 hour later, I returned to put a note on the car, and the owner was outside. He was kind of a smart-a$$ older guy. I asked him about it, and he said he would consider selling it. He said he was driving it and he blew the motor, and he didn't know what he was going to do with it. This gets me even more excited, because it sounded like he was "over it." So he shows me the car....It was COMPLETE rust. Everything. The undercarage, around every window, ect. I mean it was bad. Around the rear window was expecially bad. I can't even describe how rusted this car was. It was such a let down. Oh well.

ANYWAYS...

I'm kinda in the dark as far as prices/what something should cost. With late-model stuff, it's really clear-cut. Prices are all over the place for 1964-1970 cars. You run into the crappy rust-mobile some guy thinks is worth 12K, and you see some cars going for cheaper than you would think their worth. I can't figure this out. I look through ads online and wonder what is a good deal and what is not.

As far as the whole thing about finding an unmolested, no-rust fastback: It seems that guys seem to stumble upon these cars (Like I almost did), and not look in the paper or online. I don't want to be stuck on the idea about having to get a fastback, and never end up getting anything because I was too picky. If I do get a coupe, it HAS TO BE a 1964-66. But I'm more open to any 1970 and under fastback. I'm just going to be patient. The right thing will come along.

Thanks guys. The wealth of knowlege you guys have on here is priceless.

:flag:

It sounds like you're pretty level-headed, but here's a few of my personal guidelines for price. First, start checking ebay to get a general idea of what the car you like may be worth. Ebay seems to be at the upper end of insanity some times, but at least you can get an idea of what these things are bringing. Next, start reading local sale papers religiously. A few years ago and ad popped up in my local paper advertising two '67 GT390 fastbacks with tons of extra parts for $5,000. I rushed over to discover two sorry fastbacks and passed, but if I were more desperate for a fastback, it would've been a deal I would've taken. I found my car in the parking lot of a local craft show with a hastily scribbled sign advertising the car as a '67 (it's a '68) for $9,000. The old ladys family needed to sell the car, didn't know much about it at all, and after about 2 minutes of talking to her grandson, he told me they'd take $7,500. I ended up buying it a week later for $7,200. Cars are where you happen to find them, so keep looking and don't start thinking you missed the boat and there are no more nice Mustangs out there. Be patient, save your money and be ready to spend a bit more for the right car, but make VERY sure it's really the right car. Nothing's worse than buying a freshly painted vintage car only to find the fresh paint covers fresh bondo and rust!

Thumbs up Scott. Keep the level head. Like Zoo said, Ebay will give you an idea. It is not the bargain palace it used to be. You'll probably have better overall luck finding the 65-66 coupe. I like 'em...it's what I got. Good luck out there and use these guys.