Project Power Ranger complete. Pics. 56k, nap time

almostblown

Dec 16, 2005
Take some time to read first please, a few people deserve some appreciation and Id like to let you know who and how many people were actually involved with the project.

First off, Id like to thank Ray (FE NUT) for the help... well, it was more like I helped him. Ray was awesome when it came down to sticking with the plan, he kept on keepin on through the numerous redoes, Ray, couldnt have done it without you. Some of his ideas were amazing, I love his fuel rail mount system (pictured below). He even painted it, which turned out beautifully.

Blue Oval/All Ford- The guys down there are awesome. Jeff 1 was out at Rays and helped us with a few parts. The IAC module came from Jeff, as well as a ton of useful input (like when I didnt know what to gap the plugs at, stock was .62 or something crazy, I didnt think that sounded right for a blown application). Jeff 2 threw the book out the window (almost literally!) and wired the methanol injection in no time. They also installed the SVT Focus fuel pump. Thanks again. Chung has had the truck a few times for tuning, still isnt spot on, but really, how many people have tuned a blown Ranger? Hes kept his word and wont stop tunning now. Next, the truck will be hooked up to the wideband o2 monitor for final testing (hopefully itll be the last time). It also needs to be tuned for the methanol injection. Chung was very competetive when it came down to parts prices. Very good, knowledgable, and honest guys to work with who will get the job done when you need it.

The guys over at RangerPowerSports.com (especially Brian M.) helped out a lot too. The idea never would have crossed my mind if I hadnt seen what he turned his Ranger into. He took a stock 2004 (2005 maybe?) 3.0 V6 single cab step side short box manual tranny Ranger, bought a blown SOHC 4.0 (same engine as mine) off eBay and rebuilt it. Then dropped it into his Ranger in place of the 3.0. Previously, Brian had the Whipple blower on the 3.0. He also put an M90 blower from the old SuperCoupe on his Ranger as well (after he dropped the 4.0 into it), he wanted more power, so he fabricated a kit to bolt on a Lightning M112 blower. He put down 290rwhp and 330ftlbs of torque. It still seems like he should be putting out more than that, but still very impressive. He also put together his own methanol injection set up, most of the parts came from his parts list.

There were several other people who I got some valuable input from, thanks to all who helped me out, such as the guys down at RRev, very nice facility down there in Jantzen Beach and very impressive imports. They have some nasty Supras down there.

the truck put down bests of ~260rwhp and ~250ftlbs of torque on separate runs, I dont have the dyno sheets on hand. Low on the torque side, and here is the reason why. When we first ran the belt, we didnt add an extra idler pulley, planned on it, even had the ribs shaved off, but then discarded it when I saw how another guy ran his M90 blower. Not knowing, the alternator pulley would slip at higher RPMs, thus, not providing adequete voltage to some parts... like the fuel pump. The air/fuel ration was not consistent, Chung kept adding fuel, but not all of it was getting there like it would have if the pump was getting the power it needed. I started to have problems, the lights would dim at night, the engine would hesitate, then die, voltage read low. Had the alternator and battery tested, both good. Brought it in to All Ford, Jeff 1 concluded to me over the phone that the belt was slipping on the alternator pulley, thus only charging at idle. So we ended up adding that nice shiny pulley. Runs fine now. Thank you Jeff.

The blower came from eBay, $300. The guy who sold it to me removed the bypass valve actuator for a reason I do not know. I could not find one on the internet, vancouver Ford wanted around $200 for one, which is outrageous. Brian M. told me he had an extra one, he sold it to me along with a tranny oil cooler and some blower lube for a very low price. Thanks Brian.

Now, onto the good stuff...

dsc010779re.jpg

All together now
dsc010792og.jpg

pump, solenoid, resevoir, and a rice filter... kidding, the only filter to buy, We're Goin' Green!
dsc010887gk.jpg

Pressure sensative switch for methanol injection
dsc010986nv.jpg

Boost and fuel pressure gauges. Peaks around 13psi.
dsc010811bv.jpg

Mustang IAC retro fitted for our use of the Mustang TB
dsc010823rh.jpg

A little juice at 4psi does the engine good
dsc010834ns.jpg

My favorite picture
dsc010892wp.jpg

Rays rail mount system. Genious.
dsc010933wx.jpg

Last one

Let me know what you guys think. Im very proud to be the driver of one of the only M112 Rangers in the country, I know of only 1, maybe 2 or 3 others. Its not an easy task to accomplish. Since the base of the blower is wider than the fuel rails, the blower must sit to high that it clears the rails, while still clearing the hood. the new hoods dont dome as much, an M112 would never fit, we even had to notch the hood for clearance.

Whats next? I wouldnt mind some stage 3 heads from Supersix motorsports, but those are costly. The blower install, I figured set me back about $2,000. Next will probably be an exhaust reconfiguration. JBA headers, Y pipe, and maybe Ill bring it over to Punks for 3" piping all the way through while retaining the stock exhaust exit to the side, behind the passenger side rear wheel. Might be a while, but we'll see.

Thanks to anyone I may have left out.

Hoping to run high 13s at PIR this year.

Spencer

Attachments

• dsc010779re.jpg
    dsc010779re.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 81
  • dsc010792og.jpg
    dsc010792og.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 75
  • dsc010887gk.jpg
    dsc010887gk.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 77
  • dsc010986nv.jpg
    dsc010986nv.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 89
  • dsc010811bv.jpg
    dsc010811bv.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 92
  • dsc010823rh.jpg
    dsc010823rh.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 86
  • dsc010834ns.jpg
    dsc010834ns.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 83
  • dsc010892wp.jpg
    dsc010892wp.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 69
  • dsc010933wx.jpg
    dsc010933wx.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 77
  • Sponsors (?)

Not any good pictures, yet. Once the sun comes out I want to wax it all up, armorall the plastics, get it all nice and shiny. One guy over at RPS had his plastic and bumpers Line X'd, I liked that a lot, I might do that this summer.