proper clay bar technique???

EachIt

Founding Member
Jun 27, 2002
Chicago
I clay barred my car once and it actually turned out worse. The clay would try on the car and it didnt seem to pick up any dirt. Obviously, I was doing something wrong. I'd like to make sure I do it right this time, so do any of you have advise on the proper technique to clay bar my black mustang?

Im going to wash it first, then claybar, then wash it again, then polish and wax.. sound good?

• Sponsors (?)

When I use a clay bar I make sure the surface is kept wet with a detailer and use back and forth strokes with light pressure. I also knead the claybar very often and flatten it out to get as much surface area as possible with each stroke.

hotrodnut said:
When I use a clay bar I make sure the surface is kept wet with a detailer and use back and forth strokes with light pressure. I also knead the claybar very often and flatten it out to get as much surface area as possible with each stroke.
+1 just make sure the is plenty of lubrication and glides on the paint. If you run out of lube you can use carwash soap and water to continue. Another tip cut the bar in half and use that, that way if you drop it you still have another peice to continue.

This is what mine looked like the day after the clay bar, polish and wax. The car was fairly shiney before the polish and wax but still looked better after it.

IMG_0065.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0065.jpg
    IMG_0065.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 172