Pros and cons of a solid roller cam?

Discussion in 'Classic Mustang Specific Tech' started by 88 Fox GT, May 23, 2004.

1. 1320stang

1320stang Founding Member

I was just reading an article in Popular Hot Rodding about how flat hydraulics are really going the way of the dinosaur and how mild solid rollers can easily live on the street. Good stuff.
  2. Ronstang

Ronstang New Member

Well if the bronze cam gear thing has been solved then I vote for solid roller too. I have always run solid cams (although flat tappet) and have always liked them. Both my Shelby and T-Bird have solid cams and I have no problems with the lash adjustments every so often. I think the key is to get a mild one that does not require too high of spring pressure and all will be well.
  3. 2bav8

2bav8 Founding Member

My old 289 was a solid cam and never had problems with it, even with daily driving.
    With poly-locks the rockers didn't have to be adjusted very often, 6 months give or take and usually longer than that.

I only went with a hydraulic cam with my 347 because I wanted to try something different and wanted a very torque 347. When I'm ready to get serious with my 347 it will have a solid cam.
  4. 10secgoal

10secgoal Active Member