pulled on a '02 Z28 SS 6-spd

acsostang

Dec 30, 2003
tampa, FL
He creeped up on me from behind on a deserted 4-lane road with a divided grass median. I could tell it was a newer Camaro in my rearview mirrors from the headlights. My first thought, it was a Florida state trooper. The highway patrol here uses the Crown Vics and '02 Z28's. He got on my bumper then jerked to the inside lane and got next to me. I had already been cruising near the speed limit of 55. I looked to the left, and sure enough a gray Z28 with the SS badging, dark tinted windows, and chrome SS rims. He revved and his car sounded very intimidating.

He wanted to play. I said what the heck. It was about 35 degrees outside and I had a 1/4 tank. We slowed down to about 40mph in second gear, he honked 3 times...then we nailed it (his car was unusually loud). I pulled ahead first, then powered shifted into 3rd at 6200rpm. I could see his front bumper at the left rear quarter panel of my stang. About half way through 3rd I was a full car length ahead, but that just about all I could gain. I powershifted to 4th and got maybe another 1/4 car ahead, but not much. I shifted hard into 5th. My stang lost some of its thrust, and I could see in my rear view mirror the SS was creeping back up.

We then braked and slowed down again back to 65. He wanted to run from 4th. We nailed it again. Same story. I pulled ahead. Then I shifted to 5th, and here he comes again. His front bumper was creeping up every so slowly to the mid point of my driver's door. We then braked and pulled over to chat. His SS is an '02 6 spd with a 3' custom Flowmaster catback exhuast, 3" off road Y-pipe (no cats, this explains the loudness), modified intake, and SLP long tube headers. The heads and cams are stock and he has 3.42 gears w/Nittos on his stock rims. He had 3/4 of a tank gas. Everything else was stock and he had no weight reduction. He advised he was powershifting too. He ran a [email protected] w/out the Nittos at Orlando International Speedway Test & Tune. I have yet to run mine.

He said he was shocked that I pulled on him down low and from 65. This may be because I have 4.10's compared to his 3.42's. he told me my car was wicked with the heads and cam setup. But he assured me he would have eventually passed me and that he was reeling me back in when I was in 5th. I agreed 100%, if we kept going he would have passed me. He was simply taking back what I had gained as we entered well in the triple digits. By the way, did I tell you his exhaust sounds loud and bad-ass? He said he gets a lot of compliments. It made my car sound like a Lexus. He told me it was the 3" piping that makes it so damn loud.

I've got a lot of work done to my car, and it shows when pulling in 1-4. But those LS1 motors have a lot of top end pull. My 5th gear was plain and simply having trouble fighting him off. Plus their cars are more aerodynamic. If he had heads and cams like me, I would have been toast, or if I had just a few bolt ons only, I would have been destroyed. But overall I am very pleased at how well my stang did! Maybe the money I put in the motor was worth it!!

• Sponsors (?)