Pulleys

HI, sorry to keep bugging y'all with the same stuff, but I have another question with my new engine. For those who may not rember my situation, I have a 97' GT with 125,000 miles on it, and the original engie went out on me, and I had to replace it. The shop that did the work told me they had a 4.6l from a totaled 2000 mustang, with around 54,000 miles on it. They finished all the work almost a month ago, and I've had to go back up there about 6 times since for mistakes they made on my car.

My new concern, is that this engine is not really from a 2000. The reason for me thinking this, is that I just replaced the fan belt, and used a belt made for a 2000, and it didnt fit. We tried a 97' and it fit. He told me that he used all the original parts from my old engine, but the pulleys are attached to the block, so would a 96-98' pulley system fit on a 2000 block? I've asked repeatedly for the vin number from the original car, and he finally told me that the car was crushed, and he cant get it. Also if anyone knows where I can find the seriel number on the block it would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

There is an ID number stenciled in the block on the right front below the head behind the timing cover. You can get the numbers and take them to the Ford dealership and they should be able to run it down to what year the motor is. I will check with an Auto theft detective friend of mine and see if there is any other numbers other than that on the block that will help ID the year of the motor.

Yes they did use all the old parts, but my question is well the old pulleys off a 97' fit on a 2000. The fan belt for a 2000 is shorter than a fan belt on a 97', and since they told me they used a 2000 block, would the pulleys from a 97' block fit on it? I was kinda thinking that would be the give away that it was a 96-98 block, and not a newer one.

Aggie 08 said:
Yes they did use all the old parts, but my question is well the old pulleys off a 97' fit on a 2000. The fan belt for a 2000 is shorter than a fan belt on a 97', and since they told me they used a 2000 block, would the pulleys from a 97' block fit on it? I was kinda thinking that would be the give away that it was a 96-98 block, and not a newer one.

Depends what they changed. If they used the front timing cover, water pump and accessory drive setup from your '97, then i could see that they did use the 2000 block. None of the pulleys directly bolt to the block. They bolt to the various accessories so if they used them off your '97 then that's the belt you would need. SOme of the idlers and pulley diameters may have changed in '99.

96-00 lower ends are pretty much the same. The pistons on the 97 are flat while the 99+ are slightly dished.

Either way it doesn't make a difference since they used your NPI heads. If they were smarter they would have swapped the entire 2000 engine in so you would have had 260HP. Instead, since they used all your 97 top end parts you are stuck with 215HP.

Are you sure you don't have PI heads?

That extra power was what really drew me to their deal in the first place. He was charging about the same price for the 2000 block, that I had seen for a 97' on ebay. When I found out that the extra power didnt come from the block (which I guess I should have looked into first) I was quite disappointed. The mustang guy at the ford dealership said they were non pi heads, is it fairly easy to tell?

p.s When my car was still in the shop, he called and told me the new engine was in and we went up to check it ou while it was still on the engine stand, and we saw a tag on it that said 96 mustang. At first I thought that was the year, and confronted him about it, and he responded with "that was the row number that the engine was in". He was kinda caught off guard with the question, and it made me suspious. It is illegal to put an older engine in a newer car right?