Pullies, To install, or not to install???

QuickStangGT

Aug 23, 2005
Midland, TX
I have one 10inch sub and an amp in my car. If I were to put pullies on, would this cause any problems for my charging system? I know the pullies free up some ponies, but I don't want to have battery, or alternator problems for 5 horses. Anybody out there in the same boat? What was your experience?

Thanks!

Luke

• Sponsors (?)

a97mustang said:
pullies and amp no good,not worth it to me (charging):notnice:
Didn't you just post a thread asking about this very issue? So then how are you telling this guy :notnice: if you don't actually have a clue :rolleyes:

I have UD's and a lots of power in my stereo. The only issue i can think of would be sitting at an extended red light and pumping you system at max power...just turn it down some at the light.

Yeah, but it was still a bonehead question. If the alternator turns slower, then it won't put out the same power......... I should have answered it myself, but then I would not have had the pleasure of talking with you fine people!! Thanks!!! I think I'll just put a new sticker on the rear window and that should be good for a couple ponies.......right? Thats what all the sport compact guys tell me!!

QuickStangGT said:
I have one 10inch sub and an amp in my car. If I were to put pullies on, would this cause any problems for my charging system? I know the pullies free up some ponies, but I don't want to have battery, or alternator problems for 5 horses. Anybody out there in the same boat? What was your experience?

Thanks!

Luke

I think you'll be fine as long as you aren't running over 1000 RMS. With just one 10", I doubt your running more than 500 RMS. What is your set up?

Worst comes to worst you'll have to buy a better altenator.

If you want the speed that bad, you'll sell your sub to make your 3400 lb car lighter :p

I think this is a good question. Obviously the alt will run slower, producing less of a charge, but exactly how much slower and how much less charge will be produced? Does anyone know? I too am running an amp...but its only like 300 watts rms...and I do find it hard to believe that the pullies would make that much of a difference, where it puts your current draw in danger.

I ran UD on my fox and my buddies foxes and we ALWAYS had big systems. Heck My one buddy is running the old Offroad UD on his and the sub amp alone is 500Wrms. It is only a problem with slow idle speeds with the system turned up and banging. Besides I'm sure you exercise a Little common courtsey and turn it down at a red light RIGHT.

steveb24 said:
cant you just put the crank and pump pulley on but not the alternator??

Unless you found a set designed to work this way, you wouldn,t get the effect you are looking for. I know there are sets out there that can free up all the power on the water pump and thus leave the alternator alone but if you buy a set of pullies you should install all three of them. i can,t remember where i saw the set that leaves the alternator alone so you'll have to find it.

Update.
Here is the page where they are located. http://www.marchperf.com/pg32.html