Q? About Motor Mounts

Leezure

May 10, 2005
Do the stock convertible motor mounts set the engine lower in the chassis than the coupe motor mounts?

The reason I ask is that JR over at Kooks Headers told me that I may need mounts from a coupe (he said that convertible mounts are lower) to raise the engine and thereby increase the clearance of the long tube headers from the road.

The headers they sent for my combo fit perfectly but the passenger side collector and lower tubes hung down over an inch and a half lower than the driver side. Combine this with the wagon trails they try to pass off as roads in NJ and you end up with two flat tubes and a collector with a hole the size of a quarter. They agreed to fix them and look into the original design but in his email he suggested I get taller motor mounts. Anyone know of any?

• Sponsors (?)

Leezure said:
Thanks Yellow! How much higher will the coupe mounts raise the engine? Where can I find a set?

This is a common thing that pops up on turbomustangs.com since some of the turbo kits require coupe mounts.

From what ive read, its a 3/4 inch difference.. I just bought some motor mounts from autozone myself.. 60 for 2 i believe.

3/4 of an inch is the difference between a $1,000.00 set of headers and a nicely bent piece of stainless steel garage art! I'll pick up a set and see what happens.

Proof once again that this forum has the answers to things you never even thought of.

Leezure said:
3/4 of an inch is the difference between a $1,000.00 set of headers and a nicely bent piece of stainless steel garage art! I'll pick up a set and see what happens.

Proof once again that this forum has the answers to things you never even thought of.

Yea the kooks run ya a pretty penny! I had a set on my old car and had vert mounts and had no clearance issues. I did have the stock springs though.. Your car lowered?

Also, the difference between the mounts isnt something ive ever measured myself. Im just going off of the knowledgable people on tm.com. It was also claimed that ONLY vert mounts are made now. So when u hit up the autoparts store ask to see if there are different part numbers between a vert and coupe.