Question about axle oil seals....?

I had oil leaking on my rear drums which I thought was the master cylinders. I got new ones but when my mechanic took the brakes appart to fit them they discovered the leaking oil was coming from the rear axle.

My mechanic told me to get half-shaft oil seals but the guys in NPD say the car doesnt have a half shaft and what i actually need is just axle seals.

My mechanics wouldnt see an American car from one end of the year to the other (i'm in Ireland), so they may be using the incorrect terminology. Do I just need rear axle oil seals or are my mechanics correct?

Thanks guys.

PS. I started the Mustang V 911 thread a couple of months back. I was considering selling the Mustang to buy a 90's 911. I actually bought the 911 and its an amazing car to drive, absoloutly out of this world. But I still have the Mustang, and whilst its nowhere near as refined to drive is has a very special charm and a raw power which I'm thinking I'd miss if I sell it, so I'm tying to find a way to keep both.

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks ravenblack, I understand what you've said and thats what they plan on doing, my question really was do i order rear axle oil seals like NPD said, or is my mechanic correct in telling me to get half-shaft oil seals? Or are the one and the same thing????

Brian, your rear end does have oil seals,
but that might not cure your problem.

On each axle there is a bearing pressed on all the way down near the back of the hub. This is a sealed bearing, and usually if oil is getting past the bearing this means the bearing is bad.

Since it's apart it might be a good idea to replace both bearings and seals.

Get in touch with currieenterprises.com
they should be able to steer you in the right direction possibly even send you the parts.
good luck

They are indeed called axle seals. Half shaft seals would be used on an independent rear suspension, such as a corvette or 99+ cobra. They both serve the same purpose, however in different applications.

Yes, u just need rear axle seals. 2 of them. those are the only seal on the end of your axles. its simple. they slip up against the back of the bearing facing the center section. i was in a bind once and used rtv black since i couldnt get a new seal fast enough, and it works fine since the outside of the bearing doesnt spin. but grego37 is right, usually fluid will not get past the bearing, and if it does only a small amount of seepage. the bearing are pressed on and then you bolt the axle into the hub. this makes a pretty good seal itself. when i recently replaced my rearend i notice the driver side seal wasnt even there, but it wasnt leaking at all. just something else to toss over. now is a good time for you to replaced the bearings as well, they are probably original.