Question about compression ratio?

nonosstang

Founding Member
Nov 9, 2001
Newark, CA
Hello,

I would like to add a supercharger sometime in the future and had a question.

I'm planning on changing my pistons to drop my compression down to 8.5:1 and change to a blower cam so that I would be able to add forced induction in the future.

My question is, how would the car drive on the street without the blower? Currently, it's a '66 mustang with a 347 stroker with around 500hp.

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

This is not is answer as to how well it would work with your combo, but an 8.5:1 compression engine can still perform well without FI. I 'm running just under 8.5:1 in the engine listed below and haven't put the supercharger belt on yet. I haven't moved the car anywhere but around the driveway but it seems to perform well.

depending on your current compression ratio, you may or may not feel a loss of torque on the low end. drivability wont suffer much if at all, depending on your cam grind. overall you shouldnt have any problems that cant be sovled with a little tuning.

If your 347 is a truly honest 500hp, you wouldnt want a blower. The early blocks are a tad stronger than the late rollers, but they still split around 500-600hp.

To answer the question, your engine will feel softer than before, but drivability will be unaffected.