question about gfx removal

RWDtech

Feb 28, 2006
central Indiana
i tried searching this and didnt really come up with anything; maybe i was using the wrong search terms... Ive never owned a fox body and have never had the opportunity to look at one real close. My question is what is involved to convert a GT (car with ground effects) to a non-gfx car. i know for certain new front and rear bumpers are needed, but what about the rest? What marks, holes, or discoloration will be left behind by removing the ground effects? if there is a thread about this with pictures, let me know. The reason why im wondering is because it makes it harder to find a mustang when you seperate GT's from the list. especially with my budget of under 4k

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

A lot more work than it is worth, honestly. If you want an LX, you should buy an LX, not try to convert a GT. In addition, some of the LX beltline mouldings are no longer produced, so you are reduced to paying a fortune for NOS pieces, or getting bent and wavy pieces from a junk yard.

IMO, GT's rule over LX's. Most LX's I see I want to put a Saleen ground effects package on them. Save for a few super clean LX notches...

There are small brackets that hold the side skirts on that need to be removed and have holes filled. More than likely it will require a repaint. Pus the GT gfx tend to hold debris and water and a lot have small bits of rust under the effects.

They actually made more 5.0 LX's certain years than GT's. I can't imagine why you'd have a tough time finding an LX. When i was 5.0 shopping..i wanted a GT (almost bought a t-top '87) . I ended up buying an LX (with a sunroof :( ).

Agreed. There is too much hassle to remove the ground effects. Aside from having to fill all the little holes from the side skirts, the GT trim on the doors would look weird w/o the sides....so you'd have to replace all that....if you were already doing a full teardown/paint/rebuild then it might be feasible.