Question about MAF

• Sponsors (?)

a 73mm or 76mm unit calibrated for your injectors certainly wouldn't hurt it, but its not totally necessary. The stock MAF is probably the largest source of airflow restriction you have on there now.

Danman765432 said:
I just have a quick question that i just need one solid opinion. The stock MAF is 70mm, right? So my cobra intake has the opening of a 70 mm and im going to get a 70 mm throttle body, should i change out my MAF?

I think you'll be fine with the stock maf myself.

Here is a thought or two about mafs in general.

I feel the tb/maf upgrade is over rated when still using stock heads. Yes, you should get a gain but, it is so small, I just don't think its worth it considering the money spent.

I was able to get just shy of 300rwhp with the stock units so there is a bit of reality to back up the fact they can flow enough air to not be as much of a restriction as thought to be by most.

I see you are going to go with some better flowing heads so I'd just wait and do the maf when you go to larger inj's. You'll already have your tb in place so that will be a plus at that time.

Another thing about mafs and the critical part they play more so with our cars than the fox cars. The maf is used to calculate load with our cars and NO aftermarket maf can do it as accurately as our oem stock unit.

Having said that, the accuracy of the oem unit is not in question.

The only other factor that comes up for consideration with the oem unit is air flow.

The Cobra does not even come close to pegging it.

Heck, I don't think it is unreasonable to say my sig combo produces a good bit more air flow than a Cobra and I just barely pegged the stock unit.

The lowly stock maf is more capable than most give it credit for ;)

Sorry for the rambling on :notnice:
I'll just now fade away with one last thought :D

Lately, many peeps have had good things to say about the PMAS 80mm meter (old ProM) and that would be my first choice in mafs. A bit more money than C&L but worth it IMHO.

Good Luck which ever way you decide to go :)

Grady

urban96 said:
the stocker is a decent size but its got that giant post in the middle :bang:

Yeah but I am having a hell of a time getting my car to idle right on the c&L i have. I am gonna try the factory one and see what happens when I get the car back from the alignment shop.
Scott