Question about pcv screen in intake

86Five-0

May 6, 2003
New Jersey
I had allready replaced the PCV valve on my car a while back. But noticed that the screen was pretty dirty. For some reason before I had looked at it, the PCV was disconnected at the lower intake, hence the reason why that screen got all lumped up with crap. Have no clue why/how long it was disconnected but was lke that when I purchased the car. But I replaced the vavle and hooked it back up. I was wonderin how to replace that screen, and where can I find a replacement? I haven't had time to really look at it but tomorrow morning I'm gonna change the oil and figured I'd take a look at it.

• Sponsors (?)

86Five-0 said:
I had allready replaced the PCV valve on my car a while back. But noticed that the screen was pretty dirty. For some reason before I had looked at it, the PCV was disconnected at the lower intake, hence the reason why that screen got all lumped up with crap. Have no clue why/how long it was disconnected but was lke that when I purchased the car. But I replaced the vavle and hooked it back up. I was wonderin how to replace that screen, and where can I find a replacement? I haven't had time to really look at it but tomorrow morning I'm gonna change the oil and figured I'd take a look at it.

You can find them at Advance autoparts or Autozone near the PCV valves. You can also clean them with some carb/fuel injection cleaner. Thats all mine needed.

How did you pull it out? I remember tryin to get it out once but didn't have any pliers that would reach there. I got big hands too so it's hard to get down there. Ford's great idea of a Positive Crankcase Ventilation system.

I used a dentists pick to hook some of the wire mesh to pull it out. You can't see where it goes so you have to feel your way around. It doesn't take much force to get it out though.

The Shape said:
I ended up with my chest resting on the upper intake and my legs dangling over the fender to get at mine LOL. I got mine out with a pair of needle nose pliers, there are some little prong things on it you can get ahold of.
exact same for me. that is scary. if you have long fingernails, some can hook a nail on one of the tabs on the inner circumference of the filter (what TS is talkin about).

also get a new grommet if you have not done so. Motorcraft pcv valve is best (i generally hate dealer parts, but on this one, i like to use all Motorcraft stuff, as some aftermarket valves and grommets dont fit right).

good luck.